Thursday, September 01, 2005

How can this happen?

I think it just hit me how bad the hurricane really was. I haven’t had TV at my house in a month, so I rarely get to see the news. I watched a little at lunch yesterday, and I was looking at some footage from CNN online today, and I suddenly just burst into tears. New Orleans is gone. I can’t fucking believe that. The whole place, an entire city, is completely GONE. Under water. How can that be? How can we deal with such devastation? The train bombings in London. The tsunami. The war. And now hundreds, probably thousands of people have been wiped out by a sweetly named hurricane. It's hard to get through the day when there's so much tragedy happening around us.

I have some family in Mississippi, some friends in New Orleans, and I have no idea if they are ok. Phone lines are down still. My mother called me today to see if I’d heard from anyone. Sadly, no, I haven’t. I’m worried.

I think we should do a comedy benefit of some sort for the folks who are getting bused here who have no place to live, who need food and water and clothes. Anyone interested in helping to organize such an effort, email me at dammitjanet101@yahoo.com. I’m sure we could put something together and raise a little money to help them out.

6 Comments:

Blogger Skye said...

That is a fantastic idea, Ellen DeGenerious is talking about the same thing, why don't you contact her and who knows from there, maybe you could let her do something! LOL! It's just a thought that flashed in my mind, and then on the Radio they played House of the Rising Sun, that was all it took for me to cry.

9/01/2005 2:23 PM  
Blogger Jeff said...

I'm in. I am not going to be doing much for a bit because I am sort of getting priced out of the comedy road trips. At $3 a gallon that will bump me close to $100 a trip and I simply can't afford that. It looks like I am gonna have to keep it at a minimum until prices creep back down whenever that will happen. But I'd be glad to come do a show for a benifit. I'll pay for that. Let a brother know. Until later...

9/01/2005 11:05 PM  
Blogger I said...

I am not sure. If I was out of a home held up in a bowling alley for a month the last thing I wanna see is a bunch of freaking comics. Strippers yes. Comics no. I say if they put that bunch of people in Reunion Arena then we load up a truck of supplies and give them shit but till then just keep dropping the cash in the red cross bucket. That's just me I'm an ass. Doofleboy has spoken.

9/02/2005 7:47 PM  
Blogger I said...

Lemme get this straight. You have no TV but are online here? Wow. Are you sure you are female?

9/02/2005 7:51 PM  
Blogger I said...

Am I the only one at work here? DAMMIT!

9/05/2005 7:46 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Oh, I have a TV, we just don't have cable right now and the reception is for shit, so I don't get to watch anything. The boys are still debating the finer points of cable vs. satellite. Just make a decision and tell me how much my portion is! I need to watch Family Guy soon!

9/05/2005 10:38 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

blog counter
blog counter