Saturday, August 20, 2005

Green Day, long nite

Hey guys! Great weekend so far, here's what's happening.

Friday nite's shows were great! I did the cigar bar, thanks for inviting me, G. It was fun, small crowd, intimate setting, they seemed to like me. The 11 PM stand-up show at the West End went really well. Thanks to all who participated. Everyone had a great set, but I have to give special props to my buddy Jeff who did an amazing job on stage and even gained some new fans. You rock, my friend.

I really do like this producing thing. I'll miss it when the end of September rolls around.

Didn't get to do my head shots today. The photographer guy was busy, and I was in no condition to look cute on camera, having consumed half my body weight in vodka last nite.

So Emily and I just got back from the Green Day concert. I've lost my voice, but my hearing is starting to come back a bit now. This was my first time to attend an event at American Airlines Center, and what a lovely place it is. Parking was expensive, but it was easy to navigate and the getting out traffic didn't suck too bad.

The band....Wow. Those guys put on a really good show. They played for almost two hours. Jimmy Eat World opened for them, and I was a little disappointed in their performance cuz they only did like five songs and left. But Green Day rocked. They are, without question, Emily's favorite band in the world. I've never been a huge fan myself, I liked their songs, but I wasn't nutty about them. But they are so awesome on stage. I was impressed with the whole production. The pyrotechnics were way cool, and I loved how they involved the audience in the show. They aren't your typical cocky rock stars who don't care if you have a good time or not. Their General Admission seating was the floor in front of the stage, I thought that was really cool of them to do. They actually pulled people up from the audience onto the stage. They picked this one little boy and let him spray water on the crowd. It was adorable. Then they took 3 random guys and let them be 'the band' for a few minutes. It was so cool. The guy who played guitar got to keep the one that Billie Joe was using, and they made the drummer guy do a stage dive.

Now, I say these guys were chosen randomly, and I hope that was the case, but my brilliant almost-13-year-old pointed out that they were all really good on the instruments and, perhaps, even a bit rehearsed. Thanks for bursting mom's bubble, sweetie.

It's been a while since I've been to a concert. In fact, I seriously cannot remember the last one I attended, but it was way before everyone on the planet had a cell phone with a camera. They don't allow cameras into the concert, but you can bring your camera phone? Makes sense. It was pretty neat to see everyone holding up their phones instead of lighters though. Little blue lights all over the place, made it look like a starry nite. And no, I wasn't high.

Best birthday so far for Emily, she says. I know that she will remember this for a long time and I'm so glad we got to go. I've never seen a kid so excited. She had the best time.

I love how a rock star can just say the name of the city they're in, and everyone goes nuts and screams their heads off. If I were just walking down the street and yelled, "Hello Dallas!", do you think I'd get that kind of reaction? No, I'd probably get the finger.

Hats off to Green Day for making Emily's birthday memorable, and to Jeff for entertaining me.

3 Comments:

Blogger I said...

Yeah, Green Day is okay. So's Oklahoma. Just throwing that out there. Doofleboy has spoken.

8/21/2005 5:36 PM  
Blogger Skye said...

GrenDay everyday Yeah! They are cool, I think not sure but I think they are from here. They're gonna have a free concert in the park but I'm not sure which park so maybe I'll go.Happy Birthday Emily.

8/23/2005 8:53 AM  
Blogger Jenn said...

If you get a chance to see them, I highly recommend it.

8/23/2005 9:06 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

blog counter
blog counter