Thursday, August 20, 2009

Coincidences

Howdy. Hope you all are doing fine and dandy on this beautiful Thursday morning.

Wow, that was a little too chipper, eh?

I've been feeling shitty for a few days, but doing better today, thankfully. And thanks for your concern.

I've read 2 books over the past 2 weeks, which is unusual for me. The first one was "The Manhattan Hunt Club" by John Saul, which I liked a lot. The second was "When You Are Engulfed in Flames" by David Sedaris, who is officially my new favorite gay man on the planet. The two books were not at all similar - one is a suspense/thriller type and the other a series of humorous essays. But there was one odd coincidence in both books - both authors capitalize the word 'dumpster'. I found this to be curious, so I did some googling. Apparently, 'Dumpster' is a brand-name, like Band-Aid, so it's always capitalized in literature. Weird, huh? Maybe that's something you didn't know!

I went to get my hair cut today at lunch time, and I decided to try a place I've never been to before. I've been hesitant to find a new hairdresser since my friend Josh died last year. He was my friend first, a comedian second, and my hairdresser as a side note. The cutest straight hair guy you could ever meet! I miss him terribly and I just couldn't bring myself to find someone new. But today, I needed a new look. I walked into Floyd's on Greenville and sat down. A girl came over and introduced herself, and took me over to her chair. We started talking about my hair and why it's been so long since I've had anything done to it. Then I mentioned that I'm a comedian, and suddenly she looked shocked. "I know you," she told me. I looked at her more closely and although she was familiar, I couldn't quite place her. "You're talking about Josh, right?" she asked, and I nodded. "We've met before, I came to your apartment with him a while back!" And suddenly I remembered her. Amy, the girl with all the cool tattoos, including eyeliner and lipstick. I met her on the day she had the face stuff done. How crazy that we should run into each other again, especially at the hair salon. We talked about Josh and how we both remembered him so fondly. It's coming up to the one year anniversary of his death, so it really was nice to find someone who knew him like I did.

Small world. Very small indeed.

3 Comments:

Blogger I said...

Death is becoming a common occurrence in my life over the past few years. I don't want to ne next. Are you still doing stand up at Hyenas? I like to name drop and tell people I know you. That and I think you're cool.

Ny next door neighbor is my favorite ghey guy. I get yard advice from him all the time. He walks his puppy dog Millie past the house in the evenings. He carries wet wipes so he can wipe her butt after she poops. It's almost cute but more kinda yuck.

Thanks for the Dumpster tip. I wrote a story recently about your old buddy Doof burning stuff and did not capitalize the word so I'll go back and correct it.

So did you b*ng Chef yet? I'm having an odd run of dates. It seems that women over the age of about 55 tend to love me. Oddly enough some of them look better than women in their forties and I'm really digging that they usually don't have a bunch of tats. I spent the evening with a really nice lady last night. She looked like a freaking model. Should I date someone almost twenty years older than me?

8/21/2009 10:02 AM  
Blogger Jenn Hoff said...

If I can date guys 20 years younger, then it's perfectly fine for you to go older.

I shared the Dumpster tip with my co-workers too, and now we're seeing it pop up everywhere! It's funny how that happens.

You can drop my name anytime. I'm still doing Hyena's, I think. I should hear Monday when/if I'm scheduled to do any shows in September.

Still working on the Chef. He's getting more and more chatty with me, and today he took the seat next to me at the staff meeting, even though there were other empty seats closer to the door. I think he digs me, he just takes a while to warm up.

The Bass Player also has decided that he really, really likes me. He's been showing my picture to all his buddies and they want to know why the hell he's not in Dallas right now. (I sent him the spank pic via text message so he has it on his phone.)

I'm gonna try to do open mic at Hyena's Dallas this Sunday nite. I need the practice.

8/21/2009 11:46 AM  
Blogger I said...

Holy Cr*p Jenn. I think I'm in love with this woman. This is exactly as it was with Rene'. I knew I was in love with her on the second date and it was a whirlwind relationship. Two weeks later we had tickets to Cancun and were talking marriage. I've been out with a lot of women and this feeling is not common. It is so freaking amazing.

Maybe I'll try to catch you at open mic. Debby lives in Arlington. I'm going over today to discuss our future. Wow, sounds like I'm going to the principal's office. Cross your fingers for me. I'm going to tell her that I want this more than anything.

8/23/2009 5:35 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

blog counter
blog counter