Friday, July 17, 2009

Comedy is hard

Good morning, and happy Friday! It’s my big opening weekend at Hyena’s Arlington! Holy crap! Five shows, two tonite and 3 tomorrow. I’m nervous, excited, and a plethora of other emotions. I hope it goes well. I have a few friends coming to see me so that will be cool.

I often wonder if other comedians get as emotional about performing as I do. When I have a good set, or when I’m invited to perform at various places, it makes me so happy I want to cry. Yeah, I know that’s girlie, but that’s how I react. When people come up to me after a show and tell me how much they enjoyed it, I’m almost shocked, and so very humbled and thankful that people think I’m funny.

I see these guys who’ve been doing it for years, and they are so non-chalant about it. I’m sure it means something to them, but I guess it’s just different. I don’t know. I wonder if they still get nervous, if they go over and over their stuff until they can’t stand it anymore. They all look so comfortable and confident, and I’m practically having a panic attack right before I go on. I read in a comedy book once that if you ever stop being nervous, then you’ve lost your edge. I’m not sure if that’s true of everyone, but it’s certainly true of me.

My bass player leaves for his tour tonite. They begin and end in Portland, and I sure wish I could go, for many reasons. I miss him, and I’d love to hang out with him, plus it would be nice to get away from this Texas heat for a while. But that’s not gonna happen. I know he’ll be in touch with me while he’s on the road. I’m the calmest thing in his life and he totally digs me.

Long-distance monogamy. Weird. I like it though. Keeps me hopeful and out of trouble.

2 Comments:

Blogger I said...

Dear God Jenn. What the Hell? Monogamy? I can't figure this out. My fiance died recently. She was the first one in thirteen years that didn't just use me for sex. It figures that the only chance I had for happiness was just a sick tease from God. But seriously, I'm rich, successful, and great looking and nobody wants to be monogamous with me. They still just use me for sex. All I needed was a stinking bass? I wasted ten years in a band playing lead guitar? You've gotta be freaking kidding me!

The Great Doofleboy Has Spoken.

7/17/2009 11:09 AM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Did she really die? That's awful, Tom.

7/21/2009 7:51 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

blog counter
blog counter