Monday, December 04, 2006

Like mother. Like daughter.

That moment that I always knew would come has arrived. Well, let’s say I always hoped it would come, but I certainly didn’t expect it this soon.

That moment when my daughter, after all the terrible years we had together, would somehow turn back into a human being and be, well, nice.

It happened to me when I was in my 20’s. I realized how stupid I was as a teen and apologized to my mother for all I had put her thru.

I didn’t get an apology, but what I did get was so much better. We got to hang out together on Friday nite. I went over to her place – that in itself is weird to say out loud. We went shopping for some crafty items she was in need of. We laughed and joked about things from the past. Most notably – how much we used to fight, and how silly it sounds now. It’s good to be able to laugh about those things. They weren't funny at the time.

We talked about boys. We talked about work. We talked about life in general.

We went to Starbuck’s. SHE bought ME a coffee. And she ordered her double tall soy milk white chocolate mocha like a pro.


‘Decaf mom? Are you serious?’
Yep, it’s 8 PM, I have to get some sleep tonite!

She told me about her ‘budget’ and what they planned on buying everyone for Christmas. She has already selected things for her brother and sister. She requested a vacuum cleaner, preferably bagless, and a coffee maker from us.

My daughter wants appliances for Christmas. My daughter has a budget. My daughter is buying gifts for her siblings.

We went and picked up her boyfriend from work, and laughed about how icky and stupid boys are as we forced him into the back seat.

She said thank you. She said she loved me. I went home and cried. But in a good way.

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I think my mother and I went through something similar when I was in my twenties...how cool that you had that experience from the flip-side.

And hey, you have a new blog-look. I like it. It's clean and crisp.

12/04/2006 9:23 AM  
Blogger Jenn said...

It really was quite a moving experience. She's so different, and in a good way!

I like the new blog look too, I just haven't been able to add all my special stuff to it yet. :)

12/04/2006 9:32 AM  
Blogger I said...

You gotta be freaking kidding me! You fell for that? She wants something. They all want something. Every last stinking one of them. They're all shifty and have beedy eyes. Yeah, better look under the rug. Damn kids. They're just like the routers. They set there day after day mocking you, staring at you, almost outright laughing at your very existence then one day they see you tired and they wait. You try to stay awake but they always outlast you. They stare at you till you just can't stay awake any longer then they do it. Oh you know what they do and they do it before your head hits the desk then you wake up in a pool of your own spit with your boss asking you stupid questions like "What the Hell did you do all night?". Yeah, They want something and it's only a matter of time before they take it.

12/05/2006 7:01 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Dammit, doof, I'm the bitter one around these parts!

12/06/2006 4:20 PM  
Blogger monogodo said...

I like the new look.

12/07/2006 8:59 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

blog counter
blog counter