Sunday, August 13, 2006

Catharsis

How's this for a bad metaphor:

"You've got a million thoughts circling through your head like a demented pack of hamsters on wheels."

That's from my horoscope for today. Demented pack of hamsters? Who writes this stuff?

Let's see, where are we? I'm done pouting over my terrible performance last weekend. I've had a nice combination of friends telling me that I sucked (in the nicest way possible), and strangers telling me that I didn't, so all is in balance again. And I forgot to mention what a huge success the show was! We weren't sold out, but pretty damn close. And, last nite's show WAS sold out! There was even a mention of it in the paper. Another wonderful show. So, our little production company is off to a very nice start. Yay us! I'm so happy about that.

The weekend started off kinda crappy. It took us over 2 hours - 2 hours and 30 minutes, to be exact - to get downtown in traffic on Friday nite, because apparently every dumbass with a drivers license was on the road at precisely the same time. We got to the club late, and Evan didn't get to play, which sucked. He was very disappointed, as were the rest of us, but it couldn't be helped. There are only so many ways to get there, and the show was starting as we finally walked in. I helped at the door a little, and ran the concession stand. We made it on time last nite, and he got to do his thing. The show was great, very funny. In a shocking turn of events, Evan received his first ever "Brown Bag Foul". I have photographic proof. For those of you not familiar with the 'brown bag' - Comedy Sportz does a clean, family-friendly show, and if at any time a player or audience member says something naughty or offensive, they are required to wear a brown paper bag over their head for the remainder of that scene. Apparently something he said in German-ish sounded like a bad word to the ref, so he called the foul. I call bullshit. But it was amusing.

When we arrived, the children were promptly put to work. Emily was the fiercest hand-stamper ever, not letting anyone get past her. Her help was much appreciated. And Christopher, adorned with matching Evan-like doo-rag, assisted Evan in the sound booth for the late show. I wish I'd gotten a picture of them, it was quite adorable. I ran around, patting comedians on the back and making sure audience members were seated and comfortable. It's what I do. And even though I wasn't actually in the show, the comedians made me feel like a part of it by mentioning or referring to me at certain points. I love it when they do that. :) A very late and exhausting nite for us all, but the show was a tremendous success and the kids had so much fun!

The teenager woke me up for a ride to work today. She said to me on the way, "You know, this is the last time I'll do this."
Yep. I'm aware. Don't let her see you cry, Jenn. She'll pounce like a tiger on your weakness.

Emily and I had an Elvis sighting last nite.
I yelled, "He's not dead!", and Emily replied, "But still bloated!"
Ahh, my kids are witty.

I have completed 19 pages of the play I'm writing. It's much more cathartic than I thought it would be. I find myself crying as I write some of the scenes. I don't know what, if anything, will ever come of it, but at least I'll get it out of my head.

I'm going to try and write a couple more scenes today. And maybe take a nap. Whoo, a full day. See ya soon.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jenn said...

No worries. We were so packed I don't know if there would have been a place for you guys! I had to pull out extra chairs even halfway thru the show! Ahh, I love this.

Glad you quit that horrible job. Work shouldn't make you cry, and believe me, I've had jobs like that. Best of luck with the dental work, and the writing! I'm shocked at how well mine is going. My only problem - I don't have an ending.

Oh, and you did a great job Saturday nite. I can see you're really starting to come out of your shell. Good for you. :)

8/14/2006 1:11 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

blog counter
blog counter