Saturday, July 29, 2006

For an unemployed chick, I'm really busy...

Hey folks. I have a few moments before I have to run off again, so I thought we'd catch up.

Hmm, what's been going on? Didn't get the job from the kick ass interview. Had another kick ass interview but haven't heard back yet. Starting some part-time work from home stuff today for a lady I used to work for. But now I feel like I have to clean my entire house before I'll feel comfortable working in it. How nutty is that?

Went to watch open mic at Hyena's on Thursday nite. Ouch. That was painful. They had 3 so-called 'headliners' who went up and weren't funny. At all. And everyone knows I usually laugh at everyone. There was little laughter at our table. After about the 10th unfunny person, the audience started to leave in large, noticeable chunks. But that's an open mic for you. I decided not to go up as I don't think I could take yet another huge blow to my ego before my show next weekend. But, on the bright side - I did get to meet some new people and glad-hand and shmooze with a lot of folks. It's what I do. Luckily, I'm good at it.

I realize that people don't bring their 'A' game to open mic, but they should take it at least a little bit seriously and not fuck it off completely. We're out there really looking for funny people to do shows that they're going to get paid for. We saw nothing that we would pay money for that nite.

So I've had a whopping 10 minutes of stage time in preparation for my show. We have open mic this Wednesday, so that will help. But I'm not worried, I know it's going to be a rockin' show. Everyone who is performing is great and I'm sure the audience will be huge! Yay! They've had lots of calls about it, so the advertising is working. Plus, I have my own little fan club here at home who cheers me on, even when I don't feel funny.

The production company is suddenly taking off! We have 3 shows booked, and at least a half dozen in the pipeline. At the moment, we're booked thru the end of September. We even got a referral from a guy with a new club about 2 hours away who wants to do a monthly show! So much to do. Gotta get the DBA and the business cards and fliers for the next two shows done and work up some contracts. It's a good thing I love comedy.

Evan ref'd at CSz last nite for the first time in a year, I think. He did a great job, as I knew he would. He's off tonite, (finally, a nite off!) so we're going to do something with the kids. Well, the kid. Just the boy this weekend. We were ditched by Emily for the weekend, she'd rather hang out with her friends. Ahh, teenage girls.

I will try to write something substantial today. I have something in mind. But have to run for now. Hope you're all having a lovely weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

blog counter
blog counter