Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Mixed bag

First off, some friends of ours think that I’m upset with them. I assure you, I am not. Not that I was ready to deal with the situation, but I can’t live in denial forever. You know I love you guys. Thanks. Working up the nerve to start that discussion. Gulp.

My oldest daughter informed me yesterday that she’s moving out. I’ve waited for this moment for a long time, and I always thought that I’d be ok with it. In fact, I thought I would be happy, even relieved. Well, much to my surprise, I’m not as ok with it as I thought. She’s been a pain in the ass for years, yes, but she’s still my daughter.

Six months away from turning 18. She’ll be graduating early, probably in the fall, and she’s quite set on getting out on her own. If she’s ready, I guess I’ll have to be. I have very mixed feelings about this turn of events.

I have yet to write a set list for my show this weekend. I’ll probably wait until the last minute, as I’m superstitious about being overly prepared. In fact, for my first paying gig last June, I was still memorizing my set in the car on the way to the club. My friend Wendy was quizzing me all the way. Seth and I had spent the previous evening together going over notes and preparing what we would be doing the for the show. I remember Evan coming over to hang out that nite, but I was distracted and nervous and probably not the best hostess. (That's back when we were just 'friends', remember that? Friends who were sleeping together, but whatever.) I think he found it somewhat interesting, to see the inner workings of the stand-up comic mind. Very different from improv. But he's always been supportive and encouraging, which I appreciate so very much.

I have a second interview with the kick-ass company on Wednesday, cross your fingers, this one sounds promising. And of course we have open mic that nite as well. I need the practice. God do I need the practice.

5 Comments:

Blogger decade5 said...

I moved out from my Mom's house when I was 17. I lived in my car for a while, crashed on couches, and worked my ass off for many, many years. It was hard, but I did it, and if I could go back and do it over again, I'd still do it all the same way.
Of course I'm not her, etc. etc., but it is possible to work your way up from living in the back seat of a Toyota Corolla to having a degree and kicking ass in the real world.

8/01/2006 10:10 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

I also left home at 17, although under very different circumstances. And yeah, it was hard for me too, but I'm glad I did it.

She has a job, she won't be living alone, and I'll still be a phone call away. I think I'll lose it when she starts packing though.

8/02/2006 12:33 AM  
Blogger I said...

She'll be back. If she even really leaves. They all come back. Usually with extra baggage.

8/04/2006 6:11 PM  
Blogger monogodo said...

My wife and I will be there tonight.

We're looking forward to it.

8/05/2006 12:05 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Yay! I'll probably be helping at the door so I'll get to meet you before the show! I'll be the one not handling the money. :)

8/05/2006 12:58 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

blog counter
blog counter