Tuesday, February 14, 2006

I hate Valentine's Day and other issues

Issue #1: For those of you who missed it last year, I am an anti-Valentines Day person. This is not new. I have instructed my boyfriend NOT to get me anything for this contrived, greeting-card sponsored 'holiday', and he is abiding by my wishes. I don't think he really cared one way or the other, which is great, because any other guy would take me saying that I want nothing as me saying that I really wanted and expected something, and that I would break into a hellish rage when he did not produce. Bah. Not the case. We get each other little gifts all the time, and I think that's far more special. I wrote a little piece on why I hate Valentine's Day last year, and since I'm too lazy to repost it, you can check my February 2005 archives.

So no roses for me today. I don't like roses anyway, I prefer tulips, or star gazer lillies, and I prefer them for no reason at all rather than on a day when everyone says you HAVE TO be all loving and thoughtful. Where's the thought in that? It's so much nicer if you're not expecting it. Men should not be made to feel guilty on this day! On the other hand, if this is the only day out of the year that you get your woman flowers, then you're just a conformist jackhole.

End of rant.

Issue #2: The rumors of the West End Comedy Theatre closing ARE NOT TRUE. They are having some repairs done and are temporarily closed until those repairs are completed. Shows will resume probably in a week or so. I'll email everyone. Fear not. I wouldn't dare let that place close without a fight!

Issue #3: My (oldest) daughter is making me crazy. I won't go into detail. Emancipation is only a year away. I wonder if the state would make an exception in this case? Every gray hair I have has her name on it. Although you can't see them now since I just re-colored. :)

Issue #4: I'm really tired of being sick. Once again, I have come down with some sinusy-coughing-congestion crap, and I'm not too happy about it. Blech. I wonder if stress has something to do with it? Perhaps.

Otherwise, life is good. My two younger kids still like me. My roommates, although odd at times, are still cool. Evan and I are doing well with monogamy, in spite of some daily ups and downs. He's so freaking awesome. I'm sitting in on his class tonite, I had to get out of my house for a while. He teaches computer networking at El Centrol on Tuesday nites. He and his students are currently putting together his personal computers, and I'm just sitting in the background, making the occasional smart-ass comment. It's what I do. Let me ask you this - is it wrong for me to be amused while he talks about 'master' and 'slave' in computer lingo with a class full of African American men? Better to stifle a giggle than to let one out I would guess.

Hope you all are doing great, and do not bow to the pressure of Valentine's Day! I'll find out, I have my ways.

7 Comments:

Blogger monogodo said...

Where were you when I was in the dating pool?

I hate almost all holidays, but Valentine's Day is the worst, for the very same reasons you state.

There, a comment from me where I'm not correcting something you wrote.

:D

2/14/2006 6:36 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Wow, thanks mono! I'm honored.

I nearly drowned in the dating pool. You probably saw me down in the deep end, flailing about madly and screaming my own name. :)

2/14/2006 6:42 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

By the way, I tried posting a comment on your blog but it didn't work. It may be the computer I'm on at the moment.

2/14/2006 6:51 PM  
Blogger monogodo said...

Yeah, some people have told me that there have been issues with it lately.

I haven't been able to recreate them, so I don't know how to fix it.

2/15/2006 9:35 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

I think hating Valentines Day is a Libra thing.

And honey...take some multi vitamins! DAMN! Get you some Gold Seal or somthin'! SHEEIT.

2/15/2006 1:05 PM  
Blogger monogodo said...

^ I'm a Pisces.

2/15/2006 1:20 PM  
Blogger Skye said...

Get a bottle of jagermister and you'll feel nothing!

2/16/2006 8:57 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

blog counter
blog counter