Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Open mic and Round 2!

Hey folks. Tonite is round 2 of the Dallas Funniest Person contest. Should be tons of fun. I have so many things to do to get ready for it and no time, as usual, but I’m sure I’ll figure it all out. We got a brief mention in the Quick today, check it out if you get a chance.

Open mic at Scooter’s was pretty good last nite. My boss was there, so I couldn’t use any of my boss-related material. That was just weird. Did she come to see me and support the local comics? No. She came to pick up a project from me that I worked on until 8:30 last nite, which, of course, made me late for my hosting duties. (BIG THANK YOU to my buddy Karen for helping me get those press releases stuffed, sealed and stamped. I know you had NO idea what you were getting into when you offered your assistance! I owe you dinner for sure.) You folks who know me know that I HATE to be late. Hate it, hate it, hate it. But, I got there finally, took the large mailing project out of my car and put it into the boss’s trunk, and she decided to stick around for the show.

Now, I think she had a good time. We had drinks; she laughed at the jokes and asked me questions about how we write our material and what the writing formulas are like, that sort of thing. She left when we were done, and several of us stayed to do karaoke after the show. Yes, I sing on occasion. Not as good as I used to, but I can still carry a tune. But I digress. My friend, (formerly known as FWB, who will now be referred to as Sloth because FWB just sounds stupid) was there and I made him sing too. It’s amazing what a couple of drinks will do for you. He even helped write a couple of jokes for me and Corey. (I can't wait to see Corey do that one on stage, it's so hilarious!!!)

So, I get to work this morning, a little late, yes, but whatever, I still get there before the boss, and I brought donuts. Yay me. The boss comes in the door, I say good morning, did you have fun at the show, blah blah blah. Yes, she did, we were all funny, etc. But here’s the thing that will make me laugh for the rest of the day: She proceeded to tell me how one of the comics should set up and/or re-write one of her jokes.

Hello?

Seriously. She went into great detail to explain to me how this one joke should be placed in the set of this comedian, and how it should be preceded by at least 2 other jokes of the same nature. Yes, among the many other self-proclaimed skills my boss possesses, now she thinks she can write jokes for comics.

If that’s not funny, I don’t know what is.

Have a wonderful Wednesday y’all, and come support the contestants tonite at the West End. Comics, as always, can come watch the show for free. Cover is $5 for everyone else. :)

4 Comments:

Blogger Skye said...

LOL! What kinda joke is that comics get in for free! Which sign was your boss born under? Just cause I like firemen doesn't mean I'm gonna be one. I also like pole dancing . Have a good time tonight.

10/12/2005 1:22 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Wow.

I like cookies. :)

10/12/2005 2:41 PM  
Blogger Brent Dawson LPC said...

skye, if you could forward video of you pole dancing, it would really make my morning.

it was a great show last night jenn. you have really pulled off a nice event. while i'm not a big fan of contests, the event is nice and there have been two really good shows.

10/13/2005 7:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great site » »

3/06/2007 9:06 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

blog counter
blog counter