Monday, October 10, 2005

Howdy and Hello

Good Monday morning to you blog folks. Hope everyone had a great weekend. Mine was really good, the kids and I spent the majority of the weekend hanging with FWB. We did a lot of grilling and movie-watching. Lots of fun and got to catch up on movies that we hadn't seen before.

My new favorite zombie movie - Shaun of the Dead. I've always been a fan of zombie movies, but that one was so funny! I know, it came out like a year ago and this is the first time I've seen it. Told you I had some catching up to do. I don't get out much.

I've been doing a lot of reflecting lately and I've made a decision - after the Dallas Funniest Person contest is over and done, I'm going to take a break from comedy for a while. I need to re-evaluate my feelings towards being a stand-up comic. Having dealt with a plethora of issues that have both saddened and disappointed me in the world of comedy, I think I just need to take a brief hiatus. I take things far too personally, we all know this. And I'm just tired. But I'm surprised by how not nice some people can be in this business. I don't know why that surprises me, I mean, it is the entertainment business afterall. But I've done a lot of hard work to make these things happen for the club and for the comics, (like putting together the contest, and producing stand-up shows for the last two months), and I'm feeling less than appreciated for my efforts. I can count on two hands the number of people who've bothered to say 'thanks'. You really find out who your friends are in this business, although it takes a while.

And No, it's not a pity party. Just a realistic view of things and the realization that it's not making me happy anymore. Not that it won't again.

But, taking a break will give me some time to work on my writing, which I haven't touched in some time. And FWB and I have some projects we're working on, and I want to be able to devote my full attention to those.

So, I'm looking for someone to run the Tuesday open mic for me for a couple of months. I've been running that room for nearly two years now. I can't believe it's been that long. If you're interested, email me. I don't want it to go away, but I also need to get away from it for a little while.

Have a great Monday, and enjoy this wonderful October weather, and please remember that, at some point, I was funny and made people laugh. :)

13 Comments:

Blogger Skye said...

I can relate completely to that feeling Jenn. After twenty seasons in the pool league and all the helping setup touraments and signing up bars to sponser a team or two, brining new members into the league. Nothing, nada, but that's not what I do it for, the love of the sport. I took a season off and when I decided I missed it, everyone surprised me and was glad I was back.

10/10/2005 10:02 AM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Thanks, Bryce, and you're one of the handful who always says thanks!

10/10/2005 10:46 AM  
Blogger Jenn said...

And also, which I didn't mention in the blog entry - my job is really kicking my ass. Every day I either get chewed out by my boss, or she gives me some project with unreasonable expectations that has to be completed in the next 30 minutes. I'm working late every day and it's taking its toll on me.

10/10/2005 11:17 AM  
Blogger Jenn said...

And to clarify, I'm not quitting, I'm just gonna take a break for a little while.

10/10/2005 11:30 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

I am in agreance with Bryce on this one. However, you do way too much and take on way too much. A break is needed...just for your brain meats to culminate again. I know when I take on too many projects, I get so weeded that it seems like I've saved the world and no one noticed. Have you had a chance to pat yourself on the back? That's really important. You should realize all the hard work you've done, and if nothing else, you know what awesome results have come into being. You rock Jenn...but take a break for your own sanity. You deserve it, if nothing else, but to thank yourself for all you've done. Thank you Jenn! Thank you Jenn! Thank you Jenn! Thank you Jenn! Now go validate my parking and quit stealing shit from my office.

10/10/2005 11:34 AM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Aww. I feel validated. And faciliated. And I shall engage in proactive endeavors.

(I'm making fun of my boss, in case some of you didn't catch that!)

Thank you guys, I appreciate it. I'm just so worn out and I'm getting tired of the prima donna attitude that I'm getting from some of these comics. You know how it is. :)

And all I took were some damn sticky notes, woman! Geez.

10/10/2005 12:01 PM  
Blogger Brent Dawson LPC said...

jenn, i haven't said it often enough, but i really enjoy you as a comedian. you have great talent and passion and that is what i always admire about you. you strike a nice balance between funny and vulnerable and that is ballsy and much needed.

you work tirelessly and i have been a benefactor of your generosity. i love you and appreciate you for it. hang in there. take care of yourself and be back soon.

10/10/2005 1:55 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Wow, thanks Brent. You are one of the handful ya know. There are a few of you guys who are so freaking awesome - you, Bryce, Seth, Corey, Shaun, Billy and a handful of others. And of course, the incomparable Ms. Beth, who totally rocks.

I need a tissue.

10/10/2005 2:41 PM  
Blogger Paul said...

Comics will always find something to complain about. And most of the time, the ones that will give you the hardest time should just channel all that negative energy into material. Even though I've only known you through Scooter's, I really appreciate the fact that you've kept that place up and running for all the comics. The fact that not enough of them take advantage of it is a sign of how undedicated they all are. Sad for them, the ones who badmouth it all and everything you do are horrible as is. Any comic who's secure in his material and ability to make folks laugh isn't gonna waste his/her time to take it out on you for not putting them up here or not giving them enough time there. They'll all burn in the fiery pits of stand-up hell where all the rest of us will be stoking the flame with gasoline and hair spray. Don't take too long a break, it's like college, once you're gone for a semester you never come back. Stay

10/10/2005 8:19 PM  
Blogger Jeff said...

I always say thanks, don't I? If not exactly "thanks" I know it's buried in there in it's own special little way. Here's a novel concept, insteada of concentrating on what you haven't done and dealing with the agony of feeling like a failure, remember to concentrate on occasion of the things you have done and you will realize that you have done alot more than most other people. And think about it this way...you are getting first hand knowledge of how it works backstage as well as on stage and when you move on to the next level and leave us open micers for the next level, you will be well ahead of the rest of us. You are building a foundation to a magnificent building by going the way you are. The rest of us peons are just building nice buildings that are sure to crumble under duress someday because we don't have such a strong foundation. You lucky bitch!
As for the jokes, you are beautiful because you are comfortable with who you are and having a sense of humor about your own shortcomings - even though most of them are in your own head - is what makes you glow even though you don't realize you do. Now if I could just get you to shitcan some of the old stuff for a while and grow some nuts and try something ballsy and new...
Were I to guess, you are burnt out with doing the stuff you think is safe. The same shit you have done a hundred times or more. It gets boring. You start getting laughs at new jokes and you will remember what it is that keeps making you come back. Save the old stuff for when you go to montana and noone knows who the fuck the cake eatin' Jenn Hoff is. I think you will find it helps more than you know.

I love you, Muffin Ass. I hope you know that...

P.S. I'd still do anything to lick champagne off Sarah's asshole! ANYTHING!!!

10/11/2005 4:01 AM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Thanks Paul. :) You are awesome. And I appreciate the fact that you still come to a craphole like Scooter's, even though you don't have to. And I will be there tonite.

Jeff, yes, you are one of my favorites, you know that. We have that special sort of relationship. like an brother and sister. Well, a brother and sister who live in Arkansas. Bwahahaha!

10/11/2005 8:19 AM  
Blogger Paul said...

Jenn, Jeff is right. Yeah all the hissy crap that comics talk about behind backs and stuff can be irksome. But it's never gonna go away. We're whiny creatures. Jeff is right when he says alot of it may be the fact that you're just bored with your material. Scrap it and start writing some new stuff and it'll most likely re-energize your drive to keep doing it. You owe Jeff a platonic make-out session.

10/11/2005 11:17 AM  
Blogger Jeff said...

I'm right about something? That's a first.

Thanks, Paul. You honestly made my day.

10/11/2005 7:11 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

blog counter
blog counter