Thursday, August 11, 2005

Movies, Death and Friday nite line-up

The Aristocrats…what can I say? I’ll go see it again. You must see it. Every comedian should see it, whether or not you’re easily offended. It was fun, it was funny, and I learned a few things. Strawberry shortcake, anyone? Not exactly my kind of cake, but funny nonetheless.

I feel kinda left out though, as I’ve not yet made it to the ‘inside’ as a comic, where the joke is well known and told repeatedly.

My mini review: The two people in the film who I thought were not at all funny: Howie Mandel and Eddie Izzard. I really like Eddie Izzard, but he seemed high and/or drunk, just really incoherent. I was disappointed to see him like that. And Howie hasn’t been funny since the 80’s. Many, many better choices than Howie, in my opinion. My only other complaint is that Chris Rock was the only black man in the whole movie, and his interview was quite small in comparison to other comics. Otherwise though, it was good. Several good female comics were included, but, as always, the men out number the women. Such is life in the world of comedy. Wendy Liebman’s take on the joke was my favorite.

After the movie we caught the end of open mic at the West End. I went up and ranted a bit, told a few jokes, tried to make it quick, got a few laughs. Thanks to Shaun for hosting, and for not making me go last.

I was thinking the other day that if I died right now, what an awesome funeral I would have! People would come from all over. Well, from all over Texas. Ok, maybe just from Houston. And even that’s a long ass drive, they may just send flowers.

I would imagine that several people would want to say a few words at the service. I have a lot of friends. That’s cool. But not you damn comedians. You never get off the stage when I give you the light! We can’t have you going on and on when I’m dead, can we?

My headstone should say: “She got the light from the club manager in the sky.”

Come out and see our awesome show this Friday nite!
11 PM at the West End Comedy Theater. Tickets are $10, and it’s worth every penny. Check out this fantastic line up:

“Guys Nite Out”
Brent Dawson, host
Anthony Perez
Shaun Arredondo
Rich Estrada
Bryce Richardson
Brandon Enriquez
Dustin Ybarra

I’ll be there. With the light.

13 Comments:

Blogger Jeff said...

Perhaps, now maybe this is just me dreaming, but just saying perhaps, if Sarah and I were ever to meet, she would join me for a delicious strawberry shortcake?

You were right, Eddie looked like he was about three weeks short of a Hedberg, didn't he?

And let's keep the definition of a strawberry shortcake to ourselves. It will be like a secret thing between those of us IN the know and those of us outside it, but strawberry shortcake with Sarah will be a very tasty delight to my senses.

Personally, I think that the South Park one was the funniest. Something about cartoon characters talking like that just gives me a very good purple veined throbber.

8/11/2005 11:42 AM  
Blogger Jeff said...

OH! Does Whoopi Goldberg count as a black man? And what about the man on the street?

8/11/2005 11:44 AM  
Blogger Jenn said...

I did like the South Park one too. I love those guys.

Eddie. Sad to see him like that.

And no, whoopi doesn't count as a black man. Well, maybe.

8/11/2005 11:49 AM  
Blogger Brent Dawson LPC said...

let me clear up a couple of things, howie mandel was never funny, especially in the 80's he was carrot top before carrot top...without the props, unless you call that stupid condom he wore on his head.

secondly, i'm hurt that you wouldn't want us comedians to speak at your funeral. what better send off could you possibly have, and we would leave as soon as the open bar ran dry...no light necessary.

here is a sample of what i would say:

Friends, family, those of you wanting stage time,...we find ourselves gathered here together on this sad occasion, because we have lost some one who was very dear to us. someone who made us laugh. someone who challenged our inner fat child. someone who gave really good hummers after 14 jaeger shots....

8/11/2005 12:12 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Ok, you're right: howie was never funny. I was trying to be nice.

Thanks for the kind words, Brent. You're invited to the funeral. And it usually takes far less than 14 shots, but if you're buying....hehe.

Who was that guy that told the priest, monk and rabbi joke? Dammit, I can't remember his name.

Gilbert was great, and so were many others. I have to take my hat off to Bob Saget for sure. I knew he was a twisted fuck when I saw him in Half Baked.

Glad you got to go Bryce. I think I'll pay money to see it again soon.

8/11/2005 12:57 PM  
Blogger Owen said...

Eddie Izzard seems to be on a downward slope. I think he blew all his good jokes in "Dress to Kill." And I think he has a coke problem...he's always rubbing his nose... Sounds like a great movie - can't wait to hear your version of the joke as an inside comic:)

8/11/2005 1:22 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

My version would involve midget acrobats. Cantaloupes. And lots of silly string.

I really think we should do our versions at open mic next week. That would be fun, but it's so inside I don't think the audience would enjoy it.

8/11/2005 1:31 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Oh, and where are my manners? Hello, Owen. Thanks for stopping by. TV Producer huh? We should chat. :)

8/11/2005 1:33 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

lol, bryce, you're right. And where the heck did you slip off to last nite? Or was I so drunk that I saw you at the club after the movie and just don't remember? Geez. I only had a couple of shots!

8/11/2005 1:35 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

lol, it was a bitch getting in and out, wasn't it? damn rich people and their multi-building retail developments. :)

8/11/2005 3:04 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Oh, and let me correct myself:

Chris Rock was the only black male comedian in the movie. There was another black guy, but he wasn't a comic and didn't have any lines, he just listened to someone tell the joke.

8/11/2005 4:32 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Hey, how was your hosting gig?

8/12/2005 8:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a great story. Waiting for more. »

2/22/2007 2:40 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

blog counter
blog counter