Monday, October 17, 2005

The Big 3-7

Wow. Today is my 37th birthday, and I really don't want to be at work, but here I am. Not that I'm actually doing much work so far.

Happy birthday to Beth, too, my unrelated-but-we-shoulda-been sister.

I've gotten a few calls this morning, Sloth was the first to wish me a happy b-day at 12:01 AM, (thanks for that :) followed by my friend Karen at 8:00 AM and, of course, my crazy mother when I got to the office. Let's talk about my mom today, since she was the one who nearly died giving birth to me 37 years ago today.

I love my mom. She's completely insane, but I love her. I blame her for my OCD, because she constantly made me second guess whether or not I turned off the oven and the curling iron - even when I hadn't used them. My son says that I've now passed this craziness on to him. I told him I was sorry, and he said, "Sorry doesn't make me the crazy go away, does it mom?" No, Chris, it certainly doesn't.

My mother - what can I say about Flo. I credit her with my sense of humor and my ability to laugh when things are horrid. Of course, I also blame her for any genetic issues that I'm not happy with. She's been single since the 70's. She has a pet bird who's almost as old as me, and just as crazy and cranky as her. (The bird's name is "Mork", if that gives you any indication of how long he's been in the family). She likes bad Westerns, Judge Judy, and pretty much anything that John Wayne ever did. She has serious road rage and thinks everyone around her is a moron. She yells at strangers, she really doesn't like people, and she works in a customer service job. She thinks the gypsies are robbing her store, which is weird, because she doesn't even have a store. She chopped off her cousin's finger on a dare when she was 12.

And she's my biggest fan.

My mom has been cheated on, beaten up, broken and bruised, and she was always a rock for me. Not once did she tell me that I couldn't accomplish something. She has kept every piece of baby clothing I ever wore. She has all of my awards and certificates from school. She even has tapes that I made, back when I had a singing voice. The first time she heard me sing on stage, she cried. She laughs at every joke I ever tell her, even if they aren't funny, because that's what moms do. She'd offer to beat up anyone who made me cry, and that offer still stands today.

So here's to that crazy woman I call 'mom'. Thanks, and I love you. You nut.

10 Comments:

Blogger Jenn said...

Thanks! And yes, she is nutty.

What, you can't do the Latino hot jam? Come on, Bryce, where's your flexibiity? Where's your Latino spirit? :)

That sucks, and I'm totally disappointed for you. But don't worry, they asked you once, they'll ask you again.

Cake and booze after 6, my place!

10/17/2005 10:02 AM  
Blogger Brent Dawson LPC said...

happy birthday. have a good one. drink a shot of jaeger for me.

10/17/2005 1:14 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Thanks, Brent! I'll have one with your name on it.

10/17/2005 1:17 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

It's possible, I do have 3 sisters whom I've never met! :)

10/17/2005 3:47 PM  
Blogger Doug said...

I'm glad your mom supports you unfailingly; that's really a touching story. We all need someone like that. Since it's your birthday, I'll toss in another kudo. Whenever I see or picture your beautiful smile, I'm happier. And from me, that's saying something! :)

10/17/2005 10:26 PM  
Blogger Doug said...

P.S. Your posting was touching not just because your mother supports you, but because you publicly support her.

10/17/2005 10:28 PM  
Blogger Skye said...

I just woke up 50 minutes late , Happy Birthday! I think I love you're Mom too now, she doesn't have a cat named Mindy does she? I hope it was a great day!

10/18/2005 1:55 AM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Aww, thanks Doug. I'm glad you're still reading. Hope you're doing well, we miss you around the open mics!

And thanks skye, wolfie and everyone for the birthday wishes! Yes, it was a good one. Much better than last year - I spent that one alone. My daughter made a nice dinner for me and friends, we drank wine, and then, of course, we had cake! It was delicious. Just like Tom Devenport. :-)

10/18/2005 10:14 AM  
Blogger decade5 said...

Many, many happy returns of the day, Sweetz! I hope you get that pony you wanted.

10/18/2005 11:18 AM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Thanks, Jill! No pony, but Christmas isn't far away. :)

10/18/2005 12:42 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

blog counter
blog counter