Saturday, August 19, 2006

We're old.

Yes, it's true. Evan turned 38 yesterday, and in a couple of months I'll be doing the same. It's hard to believe I'm that close to 40. Yikes. Not to take away from his 'what have I done with my life' glory, cuz I'm sure he'll be going thru that for a few days. I'm just getting a head start, that's all. (I know, I know, it's not all about me.)

Thursday nite we went to see Paul Varghese at the Improv (thanks for the free tickets, My Space!). Our friend Aaron was hosting, and I was excited to hear that Charles Brockman was the feature act. He's a friend of a friend, although he did remember me. But they announced that some contestants from "Radio Dream Job" at 106.1 were going up to do their 3 minutes, and dammit, I wasn't really excited about that! I've sat thru my fair share of amateurs and crappy open mics, would this be any different? Not really, as you can imagine. The 5 girls got up and did their thing. But, instead of 3 minutes, they were made to stretch for 5 minutes. Most of them didn't handle that very well. Two extra minutes is a lot of pressure. Two of them did a good job, the other 3 were not at all impressive. But, it was their first time, and yay us, we got to witness that. Aaron, Charles and Paul were great, and we were seated at a table with these crazy women from East Texas who had the strangest stories about their husbands. More on that later, I wrote down some of the things they said.

Went to Waffle House, as always. Got home late, as always. Since it was after midnite, gave Evan his birthday gift - Animaniacs on DVD. Oh yeah. We watched a few episodes right away and I giggled because it made him laugh so much.

Had a bit of a tiff with a city worker and some slight car problems on Friday, but all turned out fine. We'd made plans to have dinner with Eric and Ann Marie, as it is also their wedding anniversary. 15 years, are you kidding me? Wow. Congrats to you. 15 months still seems a little scary to me, although we're approaching that as well.

We met up with them at the Magic Time Machine in Addison. We all remembered it as being a cool, funky grown-up place back in the day, but somehow over the last 10 years, it's become, um, 'kid friendly'. Actually, the place was practically overrun with small children. Now, I don't dislike kids, none of us do, but we were surprised by this. The menu isn't cheap, so it's like a very high-end Chuck E. Cheese now. Luckily, we didn't get there until 9:30, which is just about the time that the little ones started to clear out.

We were served by the Big Bad Wolf, who was not at all big nor bad, but at least the snout he wore over his nose made him talk funny. Later in the evening he became engaged to Wonder Woman - she did the asking, of course. Romeo gave us attitude and the Mad Hatter popped in every once in a while to say something witty. Superman, sadly didn't look like Superman at all. We debated for a while on whether he was actually a man. Eric swore he saw boobs. We ordered the 'Roman Orgy', because that's ok among friends. It was delivered to the table in the most loud and obnoxious way possible. When it took four of them to carry it out, we realized how much food it was. Geez. I never thought we'd get enough to-go boxes for everything. We had a nice time hanging out and talking. We don't get to do that very often without kids, or when it isn't something Comedy Sportz related. After we packed up the leftovers, we decided to try the piano bar across the street. And this is when I realized that I'm old. The place was packed, with people who didn't look old enough to drink. There was no place to sit and you could barely move. It was hot as hell and very uncomfortable, and people kept bumping into my purse, which was really starting to get on my nerves. I realize it's huge and all, but come on! We were surrounded by drunk people, and when you're not drunk yourself, that's not much fun. We had one drink, snapped a few photos, and got the hell right out of there.

Did you know that there's absolutely no place to get a cappucino or a gelato after midnite in Addison? Remember that for future reference. So, we bid adieu to the Smiths, stopped to get ice cream on the way home, and watched more Animaniacs until we both fell asleep on the couch. It was a nice evening.

Tonite we'll be at Comedy Sportz, as always. They're doing the regular show at 8, followed by the "Blue Show" at 10. I keep saying I should be a part of the troupe just to do the dirty shows. You always gotta go blue, Jenn.

Back to my writing. 45 pages. Holy crap. I've never been this close to completing something. And I haven't decided who will get the first reading. I know who wants it, but since he was so much the inspiration for the story, I don't know that I'm comfortable with that. I want honest feedback, not nasty criticism or a full re-write! Oh, damn these insecurities.

I start my new work-from-home job on Monday. Part-time to start, may work into full-time at some point. And no, I'm not stuffing envelopes. The woman I'm working for I have worked with before, I was her office manager/assistant last summer. She works from home for the company she is with now, and I'll be doing some as-needed admin work for her. Can't wait to get started! They're ordering a printer and office supplies for me, and hopefully I'll be able to put in 20 hours a week or more.

My adorable Emily has dyed her hair red. It looks nice. I was 16 before I got to start coloring my hair. Hmph.

The Teenager has moved out completely, and douchebag roommate is also on his way out. Hopefully by the weekend he will be gone. And that just leaves the three of us. Now if we could just get rid of the other roommate and have some time to ourselves!

Have a great weekend peeps.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

blog counter
blog counter