Sunday, June 04, 2006

Time Flies

No really, it does.

Evan and I met 1 year ago today - June 4th, 2005. I wouldn’t call it an anniversary per se, just a day of note. Due to other distractions in our lives, and a brief “let’s just be friends” hiatus from July to September, we didn’t become an actual ‘couple’ until the fall. I would have preferred sooner, but hey, it all worked out in the end.

We met at the comedy club. Where else would I meet anyone? I was doing a midnite stand-up show, he was working the door. He remembers it differently, says he was bartending. And he very well could have been while the show was happening, I just don’t recall him serving me a drink. I did see him at the bar after the show, and we started chatting. I thought he was adorable. He made me laugh. I made him laugh. We hit it off immediately, and had many things in common. From that moment on, we were together pretty much every day. If we weren’t actually together, we would be on the phone for hours at a time. What a summer we had. He taught me how to play poker; we went to lots of comedy shows; made a trip to Houston; did much joke writing; had many late nites at Waffle House; went swimming at 2 in the morning; went to the park at midnite to swing on the swings; attended a few dozen open mics - he even did his very first stand-up. We wrote together. We created together. He re-wrote many of my jokes and made them better. We met each other’s friends and some family. He was there for several big moments of mine – my first paying gig, winning the weekly Gong Show at Ben’s, my first open mic at the Improv, becoming a show producer for the club, helping me put together and produce many shows AND the first ever Dallas Funniest Person contest, which was a tremendous success. So many great things happened during that time, and I’m glad he could be a part of it all.

We don’t seem to have an official anniversary date. I could count it as the day he put me on his cell phone plan, which was sometime in early October, before my birthday but after Henry Rollins. Or, I could pinpoint it as the day in November when he finally referred to me as his ‘girlfriend’ via blog entry, which was right before Thanksgiving. But, I guess the date doesn’t really matter as much as the intent, and the fact that we’re together now.

The man I love. He’s not perfect; he has his faults, as do I. And we spend plenty of time pointing those out to each other in our oh-so-charming ways. But, all that aside…we do pretty well together. No one makes me laugh like he does. No one builds me up the way he can. No one would go out of their way for me and work so hard to be part of my life like he has. And my kids have never liked anyone who wasn’t their dad. He’s made an amazing impression on them, they adore him, and I think he kinda likes them too. (Funny, I've always referred to them as my 'little dealbreakers'). It all makes me very happy. Why did it take so damn long for us to find each other?

So, Happy “I met you a year ago today, but it’s not actually our anniversary” Day, honey.
12 months, and I’m still smiling.

4 Comments:

Blogger monogodo said...

Happy Meetaversary!

(That's what my wife and I call the date we met. The similarities between the two of you meeting and my wife and I meeting are scary. I worked the door for a comedy troupe. We met after the show at another bar where the troupe was having drinks. I put her on my cell plan 6 months into our relationship. Ummm, I make her laugh & she makes me laugh. I know there are more, I just can't think.)

6/05/2006 7:39 AM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Meetaversary, I like that!

We were thinking of going with "Pikachu Day", as in "I choose you." Yeah, a Pokemon reference. Yeah, I have kids.

And that is weird, the similarities. We should get together sometime, I bet we would all get along and laugh our asses off. :)

6/05/2006 2:52 PM  
Blogger I said...

I think I'm gonna widge.

6/05/2006 5:20 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Is that anything like hurl? Yeah, I am sappy at times. Widge away.

6/06/2006 7:13 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

blog counter
blog counter