Friday, June 02, 2006

Much better and still funny.

I feel pretty good today. I think finally getting some sleep after being up for nearly 20 hours did the trick. I was damn near loopy by 1 AM.

Had a most wonderful evening with the boyfriend. He forced me to write last nite, and I'm glad he did because we came up with some great ideas. I haven't felt like writing new stuff for a while. Not sure where my motivation went. I guess I've just been distracted by everything else going on in our lives. It's hard sometimes to go from dating to co-habitating. It makes it all so much more grown-up, and sadly, some of the fun went away in order for duties and responsibilities to be handled. But not all of the fun. Now that we're getting things a bit more sorted out, we'll be less stressed and able to have fun and be silly again. Last nite was a perfect example of that.

We went to our favorite place to write - Waffle House. Yeah, I know what you're thinking. Eww. But hey, it's an absolute wealth of comedy, and we can sit there for hours, practically undisturbed, and no one cares. The guy who works the nite shift has known us for about a year now, so he always has our drinks on their way before we get to the table. He knows exactly how many creams I need for my coffee and how many Sweet N Lows Evan needs for his tea. And the customers are funny, although I don't think they know it.

When you tell people that you're a comedian, you get one of two responses: Either they want you to tell them a joke, or they want to tell you one. And rarely are their jokes any good, but you smile and nod and thank them for wanting to assist you in your career. There's this one guy who seems to always be there when we are. He's an older guy, in his 50's, and he really thinks he's funny. Sadly, he's not, but that actually makes him funny. He tells us the most awful jokes, and we laugh. He just doesn't know that we're laughing AT HIM and not so much at the joke. But for some reason, he finds us fascinating.

We sat and went thru all of my notebooks from the past 3 years and pulled out every premise that seemed worth looking over, and managed to create some great new stuff. And, before I knew it, we'd been there for 3 hours. I love nites like that.

Oh, and we do actually eat there too. Last nite we're looking over the menu, and Evan found something he hadn't seen before. Sometimes hanging out with him is exhausting. Here's a glimpse into our little world...

E: Look! For 99 cents, you can get a double waffle.
J: I see that.
E: Well, what is it? Is it a really big waffle?
J: No, honey.
E: Well, is it extra thick or something?
J: No, it's just two waffles.
E: Well that's not a double waffle. Why call it a 'double' waffle?
J: I don't know honey.

E: They should call it an 'extra' waffle!
J: I don't write the menu, dear.
E: Well that's just stupid! If you order a 'double wide' trailer, you get a trailer double the size. They don't give you a second trailer! That doesn't make sense!!
J, to our waiter: He'll have the chicken sandwich.

I was amused.

When we got home, the house was full of people - German girl, two roomies, roomie's girlfriend and our buddy Mike. They were asking about my show next week. German girl is leaving for Seatlle tomorrow so she won't be able to come, but she wanted me to tell some jokes. I was tired, didn't really feel like it, but then I remembered - I have a DVD of a show I did last summer! So we got that out and watched it. I find it hard to watch myself, I don't know what that's about. But it was a good set, one of my best, and there was much laughter. I'm glad I got to share it with them. Roomies have seen me perform, so just Mike and the girls were new to my stuff. I think they were surprised at how funny I was. Sometimes I am too.

Off to get some work done. Meeting with the attorney's rep about the accident this afternoon. Have the weekend free, kids are at their dad's, hoping to have some more quality time with the boyfriend. Maybe write some more stuff. I don't know if I'll have the new stuff down before the Wednesday gig, but it's certainly open-mic worthy until I have it practiced. And Evan wrote a couple of really funny things for himself as well. See? It's not all about me. :)

Thank you for forcing me to write, honey. I know you're probably not reading this, but thanks anyway. Your support means a lot to me.

Y'all have a fantastic weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

blog counter
blog counter