Monday, June 26, 2006

A post...a post...my kingdom for a post...

I just realized that it’s been a week since I’ve updated. Yeah, yeah, you’re on pins and needles, holding your breath until I post a new entry, blah blah blah.

Nothing much going on really. Evan did two CSz shows, one Friday and one Saturday, and he was funny as always. He impressed me by taking a scene in a different direction, or at least away from the way it normally would have gone. After Saturday’s show, we stayed to see the stand-up show, The Unusual Suspects. It was really great to see those guys again! It’s been way too long. The group consists of a bunch of my stand-up friends: Shaun Arredondo, Tom Devenport, Brad Myers, Josh Wetherspoon, Johnny Elbow and Bob Zak (who’s also with CSz.) Shaun opened and rocked, he just gets funnier. Bob closed and was absolutely the funniest I’ve ever seen him. In between, Tom had some new jokes that were great, and I still love his old stuff too. Brad was energetic, which is part of what makes him funny. Josh seemed really comfortable on stage and had a great set, and Johnny, well, he’s a little bitter. But that’s ok, we all get that way now and then.

It was a great show, although seeing those guys up there made me a little sad. Ok, it made me a lot sad, because I realize just how much I miss doing that myself. This time last year, I was all over the place. You couldn’t go to an open mic or stand-up show without bumping into me at some point. But, no pity party for me, I have no one to blame but myself. I can make excuses all day long, but the fact remains – I just haven’t done it. The closing down of WECT was really hard on me, I guess I didn’t realize how hard I took it. That was my comedy home for so long, and when it went away, I didn’t know what to do with myself. Other places are so restrictive about what you can and can’t say. So my options are this: Clean it up, or give it up. I’m going with option one. So, I WILL be getting back out there very soon. In fact, I’m in talks with the CSz owners about producing some stand-up shows for them. They seem very excited about it. Hopefully we’ll have dinner one nite this week and start hashing out some dates and details. I wish we had the means to pull off another comedy festival like we had last summer, but there’s just not enough time or money to do it. However, a second annual Dallas Funniest Person contest is a definite possibility. I have a couple of months to get that going, and hopefully the people who didn’t get to participate last year will be on the list this time.

That’s it for me, hope you’re all well and happy and using sunscreen. Not that I care about your health, I just don’t like to look at people who are sunburned.

12 Comments:

Blogger monogodo said...

A friend of mine (the best man at my wedding) performed at the comedy festival last year.

I'm starting to think we know a lot of the same people, and that we may have crossed paths at one point in the past.

6/26/2006 1:54 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

I think you're right. Who's your friend? I probably know them too.

6/27/2006 7:42 AM  
Blogger monogodo said...

John Clark

6/27/2006 7:52 AM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Rings a bell, but I don't think I know him. Is he local?

6/27/2006 8:13 AM  
Blogger monogodo said...

He used to be.

He was one of the founding members of Section 8, and was in Actors Without A Stage prior to that. He and the rest of Section 8 had a falling out after 9/11, and he left the troupe. He moved out to the DC area of Virginia a couple of years ago, and is finishing up his degree (all his KD Studio credits transferred).

6/27/2006 12:56 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Well, I am familiar with Section 8 (Chad and Dave), but only since 2005. I may have met John at some point.

Hopefully I'll be doing some shows soon. You and your wife should come, I'll make sure you get the good ticket price. :)

6/28/2006 11:47 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

Don't you mean you're familiar with Section 8 HOUSING? hahaha. HEY! I posted a blog! What are the chances?

6/28/2006 4:13 PM  
Blogger I said...

What the f*ck is CSz? I have kids that eat so I watch routers now. Someday I will do my time for someone besides the routers. They don't laugh much.

6/28/2006 8:49 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Tom - CSz = Comedy Sportz. They are in improv troupe that does a kind of tag-team improv, similar to "Whose Line is it Anyway?", if you've ever seen that.

Beth, Beth, Beth. I make far too much money for Section 8 housing. Irony or ironies, eh?

6/30/2006 8:08 AM  
Blogger I said...

My life sucks.

7/04/2006 7:03 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Don't let the routers hear you talk like that!

7/05/2006 8:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have an outstanding good and well structured site. I enjoyed browsing through it Refinancing questions us does effexor xr cause weight gain Green knoll golf course http://www.ritalin-5.info/Badtz-maru-seat-cover.html picture of soccer players http://www.vicodin-online.info/Camcorderjvc.html Downloading simply accounting online Erectile dysfunction and doctors

2/16/2007 4:40 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

blog counter
blog counter