Thursday, March 23, 2006

Dust yourself off, Crazy.

Hi. I’m Spring. And I hate Texas.

Could someone please tell me why it’s so *&%#@#%$ cold? It’s MARCH! Nearly April! And we’re using our fireplace! Holy crap!

Enough exclamation points.

Oh, and if you're a South Park fan, it was absolutely BRILLIANT last nite! Here's a good article:

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/TV/03/23/south.park.hayes.ap/index.html?eref=yahoo

Take that, Isaac!
************************************************************************************
I was thinking today. Never a good idea, but sometimes I can’t help myself. I was thinking about people who feel that they are entitled to everything because they’ve had a hard life.

I had this friend, who isn’t a friend anymore. We’ll call her Crazy Red Head. Crazy Red Head had a rough life, as a lot of us do. When her father left the family, she was a pre-teen, and her mother lost it. She began abusing Crazy and her brother, physically and mentally. Crazy left home at an early age, and of course hooked up with an abusive guy who beat her too. She left him when she found out she was pregnant. She became a single mom. A few months after her son was born, she was attacked and raped by two guys, in her own home. The good ole’ boy cops told her she must have done something to provoke them. Crazy’s life seemed to have all the makings of a Lifetime movie of the week. Everywhere she turned, tragedy followed her. Every day was a crisis with Crazy.

And she felt like the whole world owed her.

She wanted to drag anyone and everyone into her tragic life, and make them feel responsible for her unhappy existence. She wanted you to feel sorry for her, and agree that yes, her life was so awful that it was amazing she had survived. Trouble is, she never did anything to make things better for herself. She just kept expecting everyone to do everything she asked. If you wouldn’t let her borrow money, you were a terrible person because she was going to be evicted from her apartment and what would she do without a place to live for her and her son? If you wouldn’t babysit for her, (which was practically a daily request), then you were mean and didn’t want her to have any fun and how dare you be like that! If you wouldn’t help her move (she moved frequently), then how was she supposed to get all the heavy furniture up those stairs because you know she has a bad back and there’s no one to help but you! If you wouldn’t go out with her because you wanted to spend time with your family, then you were just a selfish, nasty person who doesn’t give a damn about their friends! Unfortunately, I did help her, on several occasions. In fact, I helped her so damn much that it started to interfere with my family. Our neighbors actually thought her son belonged to me, because he was always at my house. And god forbid you needed her to help you. That was just unheard of. It was an exhausting relationship, and after 6 years of knowing her, I finally had to say adios.

Does that make me a mean and heartless person? No.
Why? Because she made herself a victim. And by helping her out of every jam, I was continuing that cycle for her.


I have a real problem with people who have a constant ‘victim mentality’. Yes, she went through some horrible things. But so have a lot of other people. And most of them don’t base their entire lives around what they should be entitled to in order to make up for the wrongs done to them in the past. Most people deal with things and move on.

I was thinking about this because I too have been through some crappy things in my life. I won’t go into detail, because there are a couple of people who read this with whom I wouldn’t want to share such personal and intimate details. But suffice it to say, some of the things I went through are similar to what she went through. I dealt with those things, and I moved on. If I stop and think about them, sometimes they make me sad, but they don’t control my life.

I hope someday you dust yourself off, Crazy. I did.



7 Comments:

Blogger Travis said...

I think we all know someone like that.... maybe several someones.

I have not seen them to be very educable, they suck the life right out of you until you cut them loose.

Sometimes, "NEVER" becomes the most important word when they try to re-establish the so-called friendship.

--Travis--

3/24/2006 6:10 AM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Luckily, once we parted, she never tried to get back into my good graces. Thankfully, we don't live in the same city anymore, and we haven't spoken in several years.

Another thing I didn't mention - she actually faked having a serious illness (Lupus) in order to get attention. It was just sad.

3/24/2006 8:55 AM  
Blogger Skye said...

Oh, man it's a good thing I don't live nearby I'd have to do some serious attitdue adjustments on her. I just found out recently that I do have Lupus and that really got me upset with Crazy.

3/24/2006 7:25 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

I'm really sorry to hear that, Skye. Do take care of yourself, make sure you eat right and get enough rest. Sending hugs your way.

3/24/2006 7:36 PM  
Blogger Larissa said...

She FAKED having lupus??? I quit talking bad about her because I felt sorry for her. oh jeez.

3/27/2006 9:40 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Yeah, you know who I'm talking about, lol. And yes, she did fake it, isn't that sad? It just somehow magically went away. I've stayed in touch with her friend Wendy since moving up here, and she's kept me up to date on her. She had another baby too, but still not married.

3/28/2006 8:08 AM  
Blogger Jenn said...

You know, I just realized that I completely forgot to mention her eating disorder, caused of course by her mother.

4/03/2006 10:11 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

blog counter
blog counter