Friday, July 22, 2005

That moment....

People ask me all the time what made me decide to be a comedian. I'm sure all you comics out there have a story of the very moment when you realized you should be paid for the funny stuff that comes out of your mouth. Here's mine.

I was living in Houston, we had just moved there for my husband's job. I was on my way home from a job interview, and my car caught on fire. If this has never happened to you, good. I hope that it doesn't, it was quite terrible.

I had just turned onto my street, and the car started smoking. Then I see flames shooting out from under the hood. This is not good. I have my two youngest kids in the car with me and I start to panic. I pull over in front of an apartment complex, and there's a lady standing there. She sees that there are kids in the car, so she runs over and pulls my son and his carseat out of the back, while I try to free my daughter from her seatbelt. We make it out of the car safely. This sweet lady who saved my children doesn't speak a lick of english. Her son comes downstairs and says I can use their phone.

I am completely hysterical of course. I call my husband, he can't understand a word I'm saying. By the time the fire department shows up, the car is burned about 3/4 of the way through. Not much left at all. The cops show up, and about a dozen tow trucks. Welcome to Houston! Half of the tow trucks left when they saw the mess they were dealing with.

When they towed it away, it left a giant, black burn spot on the concrete, with a bunch of miscellaneous car shrapnel lying around.

One of the police officers came over to get my information. He's taking down my name and address and insurance details, and in the midst of all this, I stop and ask him: "Are you going to give me a ticket for littering?"

He laughed. I cried. But damn, it was funny. I have the unique ability to keep my sense of humor, even in the most awful situations.

That was the moment I decided to be a comedian. And it's all downhill from there, folks. :)

9 Comments:

Blogger Jenn said...

Ha! I used to sing back in high school. Even got to do the National Anthem at our homecoming game. But I knew I'd never make it as a singer, I'm no Kelly Clarkson. :)

7/22/2005 12:18 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

I wasn't funny until my late 20's. By then I'd been thru so much crazy shit, I had to make jokes about it or end up loony!

Tommy Chong at Hyena's this weekend folks!

7/22/2005 12:26 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

I did not know that! I'm glad she doesn't tell jokes. I'd be screwed for sure!

7/22/2005 12:33 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

(but it's not like I'm ever gonna get a guest set there anyway!)

7/22/2005 12:33 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

LOL. I've been told i'm too dirty for a guest set there. Me? Too dirty? Come on! lol.

And some people I just won't blow, even if it means a gig. :)

7/22/2005 1:04 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

I do have that rule of not sleeping with comics. That includes not blowing them too. :)

7/22/2005 1:43 PM  
Blogger MB said...

This is great stuff. : )

7/22/2005 1:54 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

LOL. This is fun!

Come on, McMan. You know I love you. With the white hot intensity of a thousand flames.

(You're just mad cuz you're a comic, and now you know I won't blow you!)

Teehee!

Hi Matthew, thanks for stopping by. I do love my blog groupies!

7/22/2005 2:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I knew the moment I realized that the cat's dick really is bigger than mine.

7/25/2005 5:57 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

blog counter
blog counter