Monday, June 08, 2009

Wake up to this, y'all.

Here I sit, a bit sunburned and slightly humbled from a rough set at Hyena's Dallas open mic. It's good to do badly sometimes. It reminds you that, no matter how good you think you are, you could be better. So that's what I'll try to do.

There were precisely 4 audience members and a gaggle of comics, as always. The 4 people who were paying attention stopped me on their way out the door. I asked them why there were leaving, and they said, "Well, you were done." I don't know these people, but they liked whatever it was I did when I was up there. Would have been nice if they'd shown their appreciation by laughing, but hey, you can't have everything, right?

And if a bad set and PMS weren't enough for a Monday morning....my friend Jill (linked on the right side over there) wrote some really nice things about me on her blog and I cried a little. Not the bad crying - like when I used to cry everyday because some douchebag told me another lie or dumped me for some chick 10 years younger than me. No, not that kind of crying. It was the good kind. The kind that happened after last Thursday nite's show in the car on the way home, after they told me they liked me. The kind of crying you do when you hear your 16 year old daughter play a song she wrote and you realize at that moment that she's incredibly brilliant. The kind of crying you do when your son, at the age of 15, still yells, "Mom! Watch me do this!"

Good crying. The kind you do when you realize that, in spite of all the bullshit in the world, you are loved by some very amazing and wonderful people. Thanks, Jill. I adore you too.

2 Comments:

Blogger Curt said...

I wasn't able to comment on Jill's blog, agreeing with all of it, so I'll do it here.

That's way too saccharine, isn't it?

Ok... "pssht, whatever, bitch!"

:)

You kick ass, kid. Keep it up.

6/08/2009 12:33 PM  
Blogger decade5 said...

:D

6/11/2009 6:26 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

blog counter
blog counter