Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Magnets that DO NOT attract....

Ok, time to write about my kids. Well, just one of them for now.

Emily, my darling 15-year old, is utterly and completely amazing, as I have mentioned before. She started playing the guitar a few years ago, and she's gotten really, really good. She's writing songs - music and lyrics - and I think it's just the coolest thing ever. She's also taking Journalism this year, and she seems to have a knack for writing as well. So, in order to cultivate her many talents, I had decided last summer to try and get her enrolled in one of the magnet schools in Dallas for the next school year - either performing arts or communications.

And that, my friends, is where the happiness ends.

We obtained an application from her school - with no instructions or information, thanks very much. I filled out the form and gathered the necessary documents. The application did have one specific request - No Faxed Applications Accepted. Fine, that's not a problem, I can mail it to them since I still don't have a car. I actually sent it to her first-choice school (performing arts) via FedEx so I could track it and everything. A week later, I received the application back in the mail with a sticky note attached that said "We do not accept applications thru the mail." Really? Ok, so no faxing, no mailing, I guess this means I have to deliver it in person? I called the school to ask them about this policy and to explain my transportation situation. The lady was so rude to me! I don't think I have ever been talked down to so badly! She told me over and over (as if I didn't hear her the first 3 times she said it) that the application states 'No mailed applications'. Well, I was staring right at it while on the phone with her, and nowhere did it say that! She argued with me, called me sir, and eventually hung up on me.

I was pissed. The deadline for applying was around the corner, and I didn't know what to do. I talked to Emily. She says she would rather apply for the Journalism program at the other magnet school. Great! So I called them. Not only were they nice, but their deadline was a few weeks away! Awesome! That would give me plenty of time to arrange a ride over there - which actually turned out to be a much bigger pain in the ass than I thought, but that's another story. I got my google map and we headed to the school.

Sight unseen, this sounded like a great school. But when we got there, and looked around the neighborhood, I began to wonder if this was a good idea. The school is *literally* across the street from the projects. Right at the corner of Hatcher and Malcolm X Boulevard - I should have known. The school was ok, but not terribly impressive. I'm pretty sure we were the only white people in the entire building. After much consideration, and much freaking-out by my lovely daughter, we've decided that it's just not the right place for her.

I don't understand why they would put a magnet school in such an awful neighborhood. She would have been scared to go there, and I would have been terrified of her having to take a bus to get there. Does that make me racist? I don't know. It was just way out of our comfort zone.

5 Comments:

Blogger Jillian said...

I don't think it makes you racist. It's natural to feel a little uncomfortable when you realize you're the only one of a particular race. I married a white guy, but every time we go somewhere I am always on the lookout for people of color! I mentally scan a room as soon as I walk in to see how many of "us" are in there. This might stem from going to predominantly white schools, but either way I'm used to it at this point.

But the bottom line is: I don't think anyone would want their kid going to school in a bad neighborhood. That's partly why my mom had me bussed to a better one. So I don't blame you one bit, it's just unfortunate other parents don't have the same luxury.

:-D Good luck with finding a school!!

3/26/2008 8:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't speak for Texas, but I went to California's first magnet school and one of the points of the whole magnet program is to encourage integration without the forced bussing of the sixties and seventies.

So, in the town where I went to school, at least, the performing arts magnet was in a predominantly Asian and Hispanic school, the computer magnet was in a predominantly Black school, and the trade magnet was in an upper middle class predominantly white school.

The neighborhood outside my school was kind of scary at first - but the education I received was well worth it.

Still, you have to do what's right for you and E. Good luck finding a place that fits.

3/26/2008 10:34 PM  
Blogger Curt said...

"Racist" is too strong a word. There is a certain amount of xenophobia unavoidably hard-wired into each of our brains.

While I pride myself on lack of racism (my sister married a black man, and I was his best man, as he was mine), I can't deny that I would have felt the same level of discomfort that you did. It's a visceral thing.

4/01/2008 11:55 AM  
Blogger I said...

You racist!

4/01/2008 9:41 PM  
Blogger I said...

Actually I've played for almost thirty years. I'll teach your daughter guitar for free. If someone cuts you off in traffic the first thing you usually comment on is race, gender or age. We're all racist. Gimme a freaking break.

4/01/2008 9:46 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

blog counter
blog counter