Thursday, February 01, 2007

sad

Well, I was going to write something funny today, a sort of obituary to chivalry. But, as I was looking for obituaries for inspirartion (how twisted is that?), I found out that Molly Ivins died.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/01/washington/01ivins.html?ref=obituaries

I met Ms. Ivins briefly at a Planned Parenthood function many years ago. She shook my hand hard and told us how happy she was to be there. I think she was a little tipsy. But her speech was amazing, and she was just such a pleasure to read and listen to.

She was a wonderful voice in this crazy state. I couldn't possibly say anything here that would do her work justice. I am a fan; something she probably took very little stock in. She was funny and precise, and said whatever the hell she wanted to say. I respected her for that. Too many good writers end up being censored for perceived controversy. I'm glad she had a place where she could be herself. (The Texas Observer).

Her slogan, which was posted on billboards in 1982 by the Dallas Times Herald:
"Molly Ivins can't say that, can she?"

Hell yes, she can. And she did.

Here's a quote of hers I particularly liked:

"The poor man who is currently our president has reached such a point of befuddlement that he thinks stem cell research is the same as taking human lives, but that 40,000 dead Iraqi civilians are progress toward democracy," from a July 2006 column urging commentator Bill Moyers to run for president.


Rest well, Molly. And tell Ann I said hello.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Her loss will be keenly felt.

2/01/2007 2:58 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Indeed.

Only one other person in my office knew who she was - and he's a conservative, so my feelings of sadness were not mutual.

2/02/2007 2:20 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

blog counter
blog counter