Tuesday, December 12, 2006

"So, I heard you're a comedian..."

I was walking thru the warehouse this morning on my way for a smoke break, and the assembly guys stopped me. They said they had heard that I do stand up and wanted to know when my next show was going to be.

I get that question a lot.

Seth called me the other day. We used to be inseparable comedy buddies. We wrote together. We performed together. It’s been a while.

I haven’t been on stage since August. I haven’t done an open mic since about that time as well. I wouldn’t say I’ve given up on comedy, but I certainly have taken an extended break. I’ve been consumed with trying to manage my life. I haven’t written a joke in a very long time. I haven’t felt ‘funny’. So many things in my personal life have taken center stage, which has left little time and little interest in being back on the stage myself.

I got a text message last weekend from a friend of mine asking if I would perform at her birthday party in the spring. Of course I will. How could I say no to that?

I need to get back out there. I miss it. I miss my comedy buddies. I miss the laughter. I have such fond memories of it all. Those times when there was no laughter at all from an audience at an open mic - until I took the stage. The first time I was approached to do a showcase. The first time I made the manager at the Laff Stop in Houston actually laugh out loud. The Gong Show – that time I did well, not the time I got gonged. Putting shows together at the last minute. Watching comedians grow and develop. I used to be such a big part of it all. I want that back. I miss it. I need it.

So when will my next show be? I’m not sure yet, but I’ll let you know.
So far, I have a definite booking for April 2007. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

blog counter
blog counter