Saturday, September 02, 2006

Corn Mo is a Rock God, and I hate the Post Office

Yes, it’s been a week since my last post, surely something must have transpired in the last 7 days that was somewhat interesting? Ok, we’ll go with that.

I’ve actually been really busy with work this week. Spent a few days at the boss’s house working on some projects. I don’t mind at all. I’d rather be there than in an office. I don’t have to dress up or put on make-up and I can wear whatever I want, within reason. Put in quite a full week, some there and some at home.

Spent a lot of time standing in line at the post office, which I hate, but it was necessary. It’s amazing how much attitude you get from the window clerks when you walk in with a couple of boxes full of large envelopes that need mailing. Isn’t it their job to send them for me? They work for the POST OFFICE. Isn’t that what the government pays them a ridiculously high salary to do? Ok, Ok, maybe they don’t make all that much money, but they do pretty well. If you count the government benefits and all, they make more than someone in a useful profession, say a teacher. And the ones I’ve encountered are not bright and not good with people. Good idea, let’s put anti-social people with attitude in a public service job! Brilliant!!! Out of the 4 clerks I dealt with this week, only one was nice and helpful. He managed to get us a really good rate for the packages, which was awesome, since we had so many to send. Unfortunately, each time I’ve dealt with a different person and asked for that same rate, I get the third degree and a butt load of attitude. “What’s in them? Are they really books? You know they are subject to opening and inspection? You’ll be charged more if you’re lying about the contents.”

Um, why would I lie about what’s in an envelope? Anywho. Our first trip was on Tuesday, we had a stack of 50 or so 10x13 envelopes. Just letters, no big deal. We wanted them postmarked, which means the clerk would have to print out the postage labels and place them on the envelopes. God forbid, you have to do a little work today. Well, Mr. Hippy Man with the big bushy hair and beard refused to do this. Instead, he handed us stamps and told us to put them on the envelopes ourselves. Fine. We scooted over to the next window, stamped the stupid envelopes and were done. As we were walking away Mr. Hippy snidely asked me, “Are you just going to leave your trash there?” And I replied, “Well, since you were SOOOO helpful, I figured you could clean it up yourself.”

Ok, so I can’t go back to that post office anymore. So what. J

My other trips varied in annoyance. I hate the post office and I hate the government. And why is it that if there are 30 people in line, you can be assured that only 2 clerks are on duty? The customers should be the ones showing up with shotguns, what the hell do the workers have to be stressed about?

On Monday nite, I took the boyfriend to a show, kind of an extended birthday present, if you will. Last summer when we met, we were getting to know each other and sharing our musical tastes. He played a CD for me on our way to Houston by a guy named
Corn Mo. I was like, are you kidding me? This is what you listen to? Ok then. But the more I listened, the more I liked it. The guy is talented, no doubt. His songs are funny, almost parody-like, but with a rock star quality to them. And he plays the accordion. Very hard to describe. When you see him live, you find out that his songs are all about things that have happened to him in his life, people he went to school with, girls he didn’t get to date, etc. He’s a rock star trapped in a couch potato’s body. I knew that Evan was a huge fan, and we saw on MySpace that he was coming to the Gypsy Tea Room, so of course we had to go. And we had such a great time! The show was awesome, and we got to chat with him afterwards. He’s a really nice, easy going guy, and NO ONE could ever rock Hava Nagila quite like that. Evan was so excited to meet him, and I do love seeing him excited. Happy Birthday, honey!

Corn Mo opened for the
Trachtenburg Family Slideshow Players, who I absolutely loved. I’d never seen them before but Evan has told me about them. They’re a family of 3 – mom, dad and daughter. They take vintage slides that they find at garage sales and thrift stores, and write songs about the people and activities in the slides. It was great! Very unique, and apparently they, as well as Corn Mo, have a huge indie following. Their daughter is 12, she plays the drums. Dad plays guitar and sings, and Mom does back-up singing and runs the slide projector. It was quite a thing to see, I highly recommend checking them out if you get the chance.

Their first opening act was a chick who sang dirty folk songs,
Jessica Delfino. I think I have a little girl-crush on her. She was really funny and really dirty, which I love. I talked to her for a few minutes after the show, she was really cool. I’m just sorry I didn’t have 10 bucks to buy one of her CD’s. Check out her blog, she has some great stories and pictures from the road.

Well that’s about it for my week. I’m having my coffee and doing some work today. I have lots to do, both for the job and around the house. I’d better get on with it. Have a great weekend all.


Oh, play update - 90 pages are completed. I'm currently stuck, but I did write the ending! Weee! I expect it will turn out to be 120-130 pages or so, I'm not quite sure yet. I was on a roll for a while, but right now I can't think. I know where it needs to go, I'm just having trouble getting it there. I'm almost to the point where I need an outside opinion. Almost.

Peace and love and all that jazz. Thanks for reading.

6 Comments:

Blogger monogodo said...

My wife is a huge Corn Mo fan. We've seen him probably a dozen times since we first started dating in 2001.

9/02/2006 11:12 AM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Our lives just seem more and more parallel. Did you guys see him this week at GTR?

9/02/2006 11:25 AM  
Blogger monogodo said...

Nope, we wanted to go, but couldn't swing the $, and it was also my Anniversary show on Mango Radio.

9/02/2006 7:44 PM  
Blogger I said...

I'm making a play out of Doofleboy speaks. You know, just to work out the kinks before we start filming the movie.

9/02/2006 8:45 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

lol. Let me know if you need any writers. :)

9/03/2006 4:50 PM  
Blogger I said...

I bought a cam corder today. Have you used one of these things? I am still waiting on my laptop to edit video. Any suggestions?

Doofleboy has spoken.

9/08/2006 6:04 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

blog counter
blog counter