Monday, November 14, 2005

It's showbiz, baby.

Good morning and happy Monday to you. I’m at my desk, at the job that I hate so very much, but I won’t let it get to me today. It’s been a few days since I’ve written, so let’s play catch-up. Not to be confused with ketchup, cuz I don’t like that on my fries.

Thursday and Sunday, more script meetings. I finally feel that we’re getting somewhere with it, and I’m pleased with the direction the writing is going in. I’m happy with my contributions. We have two weeks to complete 50 pages. We can do it. Oh yes we can.

The weekend was pretty good, although exhausting. Evan taught classes and helped out with the “Hurricanes are Funny” shows at the club. A bunch of displaced improv folks from New Orleans regrouped in Austin and wrote a sketch comedy about the tragedy of the hurricane. It was ‘R’-rated and I had the kids with me, so I didn’t get to see much of it. He did some voice over stuff and had a few speaking lines. Saturday nite we had dinner with his adopted ‘little sister’, Heather. She’s a sweet college kid who rides a motorcycle really, really fast. She’s braver than I. We had a lovely chat while the boys were taking things out to the car.

Sunday were the auditions for the Las Vegas Comedy Festival. Yikes. What a beating. Stayed up way too late the nite before, and had to get up way too early. Originally Evan was supposed to go with me and keep the children entertained, but he got called to teach a class, so the kids went along with mom and were terribly bored.

Here’s a tip: If you’re nauseatingly nervous, don’t take energy pills to wake yourself up. Bad idea. I shook like a leaf and couldn’t sit still. I really thought I was going to throw up. Does stage fright ever go away?

This was my first comedy audition ever. There were I guess about 30 comics. I expected a lot more. We were told to arrive by 11:00 AM, and we did. Of course, the producer lady didn’t show up until later. It’s showbiz, baby. She finally got there after noon and had us fill out forms. Everything we were told was apparently incorrect. When I initially inquired into the auditions, I was told that callbacks would be the same evening. We found out that no one will actually be contacted until mid-December. That’s fine, no big deal. They were videotaping everyone, each comic would get the light at three minutes, and at that point you had to wrap up whatever you were doing. When the auditions began, we didn’t get introduced individually – they called groups of five and you had to remember who you were after. I went up in the second group. We were the audience for each other, which was ok. I had hoped that we would just be performing for the festival and club people, but I guess it’s better to have an audience of comics than no audience at all.

I made the kids leave the room when I went up. I don’t think the little darlings are ready to hear mommy’s act just yet. Talk about “R” rated and years of therapy! I think it made the comics uncomfortable to have them there, even though the majority of them were clean. My apologies to the comics. Sometimes things just don’t work out the way I want them to. I guess I did ok. There were a couple of comics I didn’t know, so the jokes were new to them. But everyone tells you that you did well, even if you didn’t. I would love for someone to be honest with me, just once. I was so nervous when I went on stage, I think people could tell. I did what I thought were my best three minutes and moved on. We stayed to watch the whole thing. Everyone did well under the circumstances. My personal favorites were the Cooperation Corporation, Raj Sharma with his pope and tsunami jokes, and of course, Corey Sutton, who went did last and kept on going after he got the light. I wonder if he noticed that he did one of his jokes backwards? It was still funny. Bryce Richardson also had what I thought was a really good set. When it was all over, they said thank you, took a group photo of all the comics on stage, and sent us on our way with no feedback.

So my first audition came and went. I lived through it, and I hope I learned a few things. Next weekend we’re filming a short film with my kids. That should be tons of fun. I can’t believe they’re onboard with it, but I think Evan could ask them to do just about anything and they would do it. They dig him.

Have a great week folks!

8 Comments:

Blogger decade5 said...

Riding a motorcycle is easy. You sit there, you squeeze some handles, you kick a few levers - no big deal. But standing up in front of people and being funny? That takes bravery.

I think it's neat that your children are going to have memories of you auditioning for comedy stuff.

11/14/2005 11:12 AM  
Blogger Skye said...

Damn Jenn, you are braver than Rosa Parks! She just had to walk and sit down, you had to stand there and be funny.

11/14/2005 11:27 AM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Rosa Parks shoulda been a comedian.

"Where my black people at? Oh, I see you, you're at the back of the bus!"

Wow. That wasn't funny at all.

Laura, yeah, I'm with you. Totally. What Ken said at the end of his set was funny though, about it being like open mic.

Jill - comedy is scary, but riding on two wheels at 110 MPH scares the dickens out of me! That's how fast Heather said she goes. Yikes. And my kids do think it's cool that I do comedy. They may well turn into a comedians themselves. Or, at the very least, will be immoratlized on film as the young Morty and Delores. ;)

11/14/2005 12:19 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Thanks Bryce. I think I did ok. I'm guilty of being too nice as well, because I love all you guys and I want to see everyone succeed. But you really did do well yesterday, and I'm not just saying that. Seriously.

What I hate is when the guys who aren't funny ask my opinion about how they did. I have a hard time bursting people's bubbles, but if they respect my opinion that much, it wouldn't hurt to be honest, eh?

11/14/2005 12:31 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Yesterday seemed like a scam to me. "Hey, audition for us and you can take our classes! There's just a teeny tiny entry fee, and you can take our classes! Isn't that what you're auditioning for? Classes?" Fuck classes. And if someone doesn't do a good job, I don't say anything. If they ask me, I'll tell the truth. And your son is cute as hell and I want to put him in my pocket.

11/14/2005 1:11 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Scam was a word that came to mind. The all-expense paid trip to Hawaii would be a blast, but look what you have to go thru to get it.

And my son is the cutest. I'll tell him you said so. :)

11/14/2005 2:21 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

There! I updated! Hope your day got better.

11/15/2005 4:54 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

It's about time and thanks, yeah, I'm ok.

11/15/2005 6:47 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

blog counter
blog counter