Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Intolerant State

Well, we did it. The state of Texas officially passed a ban on gay marriage, and I am extremely disappointed. Not surprised, of course.

Can a law tell you who to love? Can an amendment to the constitution keep you from wanting to spend your life with someone? How do you legislate matters of the heart?

Being gay doesn’t make you wrong. It doesn’t make you ‘bad’. I have many gay and lesbian friends who I care about very much. It saddens me that they are not entitled to the same rights and benefits that straight couples have; straight couples who can marry, divorce and re-marry at the drop of a hat. Who would it hurt to allow their partners insurance coverage, retirement accounts, the ability to make medical decisions, and, god forbid, the simple recognition that their relationship is legally valid? They are no different than the rest of us. They deserve equal rights and treatment. This push to ban gay marriage wasn’t about right or wrong, it was about how loud the religious right can be. And they’ve never been more loud or more wrong.

You disgust me, Texas. Shame on you.

5 Comments:

Blogger Hebi said...

It's good to see that what we live and feel can be felt by others. Thank you.

It is abominable that politicians want to dictate with whom I shall legally spend the rest of my life.

Keep the faith that, ultimately, our "great" nation will catch up to the openmindedness of the rest of the world.

Peace, Hebi

11/09/2005 11:19 AM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Thanks for stopping by. I will always keep the faith, though it fades a bit on days like this.

Take care.

11/09/2005 11:35 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

Don't lose faith...lose your FUCKING MIND. I walked a mile just to go vote. Because it's my DUTY to vote. I know so many people who didn't even vote because they didn't care one way or the other. So...why don't you vote against it? I mean, if you don't care?

Yeah, I'm angry, angry, angry.

11/09/2005 11:48 AM  
Blogger Skye said...

To all of you in the state of Texas, thank you for trying, like anything worthwhile it will take awhile, Just don't give up, you gotta fight for your Rights.

11/09/2005 11:57 AM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Isn't that a Beastie Boys song?

11/09/2005 12:11 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

blog counter
blog counter