Thursday, November 17, 2005

Comfort zone? NO MORE!

You guys won’t believe this. Are you ready?

I actually did 3 clean minutes for the Funniest Mom in America contest last nite.

Damn I’m proud of myself! I didn’t have any alcohol either. I think that was most helpful.

This was so much better than the audition on Sunday. I was a little nervous, but it felt more comfortable being at the Improv. There were about 20 moms there from all over Texas; Tyler, Houston, some place called Hideaway. Most of them had never been on stage before; when they found out I’d been doing this for a few years, they panicked. “Oh, you’re a professional! I shouldn’t even be here!” Yeah, right. If they only knew that I thought I was out of my league! There were a few there who’ve been doing comedy for years. I finally got to meet Miss Vickie. She is one funny lady. I was filling out the forms and looking around at these women thinking, do I even have a shot? The guys at the Improv know me, and I think they were surprised to see me there. Clean material? Jenn? Can she do it? Well, yes, apparently she can.

Initially we were told (via the internet) that everyone would get 7 minutes. That got chopped down to three as soon as we got there. Fine, I can do three. The manager came out and explained how it would work with the light and all. But having never been on stage before, many of the women went way over their three minutes. I don’t think they saw the light, or if they did, they didn’t acknowledge it. The emcee had to remind everyone more than once that 3 minutes was it. (Great job, Justin! We both pulled off clean!)

I went up 10th. It was a good spot for me. The crowd was awesome. It’s so much better to have a real audience rather than a room full of comics. I opened strong and they liked me right away. My only slip was saying ‘bastards’, but I think that’s pretty minor. Ad lib’d a little here and there, had a good closer, felt freaking awesome. Didn’t say ‘fuck’ or ‘blow job’ once. I’m still smiling about it. And I didn’t go over my time. Even if I don’t hear from them, at least I know that I can venture out of my comfort zone and do clean jokes. And do them sober! I’m planning on hitting the Backdoor soon.

Thanks Tommy, Johnny and the other comics who got in touch with me about this thing and told me to do it. I’m really glad I did. And as always, thank you Evan for your constant support and encouragement. It means a lot to me.

Hope you all are having a fab week. Mine just got better.

Edited later today to add...

I forgot to thank Evan for helping me re-write some of my jokes to make them clean, and god knows I don't thank him enough. (insert eye-rolling here)

There ya go, Mr. Man. You got your props. I'm just kidding about the eye rolling. ;)

12 Comments:

Blogger Jenn said...

I did dieting, (trim spa, hershey bar), dating (the fat ex boyfriend, kids made fun of him, smells like I don't need you) and dating guys who say stupid stuff. Not one kid joke, which could be my only downfall in the competition, although I do have a couple of good kid jokes.

11/17/2005 9:53 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

I'm so proud of you! Can you do me a favor when you're in the Nickelodeon corporate office? Can you tell them to get rid of Rugrats? Mmkay, thanks.

11/17/2005 11:46 AM  
Blogger Jenn said...

I'm on it. :)

11/17/2005 11:56 AM  
Blogger Skye said...

Way to go Jenn!

11/17/2005 12:20 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Thanks! I'm getting a copy of the tape, maybe I can put some clips up somewhere so you can see me in action! Weeee!

11/17/2005 12:22 PM  
Blogger Brent Dawson LPC said...

way to go. i'm pulling for you.

11/17/2005 12:27 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Thanks y'all. I feel the love.

11/17/2005 3:56 PM  
Blogger Skye said...

It's Friday we made it thru another week! 0'0

11/18/2005 3:47 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Bunnies to you. :)

11/18/2005 6:00 PM  
Blogger I said...

Holy Freaking sh*t! You did clean material?

11/19/2005 6:46 PM  
Blogger Skye said...

Well, I got my Monday out of the way, I hope yours is way better than mine.

11/21/2005 10:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cool design! Useful information. Go on! Botox ad http://www.tiny-tits-95.info/Dumb-blonde-jokes.html tourette seroquel mature hairy women movies Powell volvo az Free pamela anderson and tommy lee video free

3/06/2007 3:20 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

blog counter
blog counter