Friday, July 01, 2005

Pink Frills and Captain Kirk

So I'm hanging out with my best bud Karen last nite and we were watching Oprah. (Yeah, guys, I am a chick, I know you forget that sometimes.) She was doing home makeovers for people, because, well, that's what Oprah does. That woman has so much freaking money. Anhwho. I wasn't paying enough attention to the circumstances in which these people came to be chosen for the remodeling. Looking at their homes, they didn't appear to me to be needy in any way. I could be wrong.

I was irritated by the first one they did: An engaged couple, young, happy pretty people, about to get married, and the woman was appalled by her fiancee's 'bachelor pad'. She refused to move into it until something was done about all his 'man' stuff.

Now, I can understand wanting to banish a few items that are unnecessary - the guy had huge collections of bowling balls and beer cans, for example. But he had some cool stuff too, and she totally made him get rid of it!! The man had video games. I'm not talking Nintendo or X-Box, I'm talking fully functional, full-sized versions of Asteroids, Centipede and a couple of way cool pinball machines. And she said they had to go!!! What??? That's just wrong. I would consider marrying a guy with a collection like that, just for the free game play.

They made the place look fabulous, of course, but it was so girly. Maybe I really am just a guy at heart, but I don't think an engagement ring is a license for the chick to decorate the house in a pink, frilly mess. Blech.

When I was married, my husband and I split the bedroom down the middle. On my side, my Lilith Fair posters, my crazy toy collection and a girly thing or two. Nothing girly-frilly. Ever. On his side: Star Wars posters and, my favorite, a life-size cardboard Captain Kirk. Compromise, people. It's all about compromise.

I am a tolerant woman.

Heading to Houston this weekend to visit friends, kiss some babies, and do Open Mic Monday at the Laff Stop. Road trip!

4 Comments:

Blogger Jenn said...

I seriously think I was a man in a former life. I hate pink, frilly stuff, I like the Stooges, and monogamy, well, not my strong suit, although I have been known to give in to it.

I called the Stop and they said they're doing open mic in spite of the holiday. Stage time, baby, stage time.

7/01/2005 9:13 AM  
Blogger Jenn said...

And yes, my blog is pink, and I do recognize the irony.

7/01/2005 10:10 AM  
Blogger Doug said...

I agree with you. Why do women hijack the wedding, the home-buying, the car-buying, the closet space, and the decorating? Whatever happened to 50/50? It's refreshing to hear that a woman wants to be fair.

- Doug Weiss

7/07/2005 11:51 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

I am so not a typical chick. :)

7/08/2005 6:56 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

blog counter
blog counter