Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Monogamy is not for me

I've given this a lot of thought, actually, and I have come to the following conclusions.

I cannot be owned.
I cannot be possessed.
And I cannot be with only one man for the rest of my life. Monogamy seems to be a ridiculous proposition to me. How can you find one and only one person to give you everything you need?

Here's an example. We all have friends, right? None of us (except maybe you, Tom Botts, lol) have only one friend. You may have a best friend, but each of us has a variety of friends, who give us different things. I have my very religious, conservative friend. I have my hardcore liberal friends. I have my very cool, eccentric friend. I have party friends. I have serious friends. I have comedy friends. Friends who write and friends who are musicians and friends who sell stocks. But all of them bring something different to the table in our friendship. So why not apply that same philosophy to other relationships?

I know that many people view monogamy in a religious or spiritual way. But I think, and this is my opinion of course, that being married means you're settling. You're conforming to what society, the church, your parents tell you is the right thing to do. You must get married and be faithful and multiply, and that's all there is to it.

But I think there's more.

I tried it. I was married for almost 11 years. But the urge to walk down the aisle has not risen its head in a very long time for me. I like things the way the are. I'm free to see who I choose, when I choose. The guys I date are all very different, in good ways. Each of them has something to offer, but none of them have everything I need.

I'll probably add to this later...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

blog counter
blog counter