Monday, May 14, 2007

The mother of all days

Another Mother's Day. This year's was uneventful, and that's not a bad thing really. So much stress lately, so many things going on, I just didn't have the energy to be excited about a day that was supposedly meant for those of us who've given birth.

I didn't ask for any gifts, I really just wanted to relax and have one day where I didn't have to worry about a million things. So that's what I got. But since The Boy's birthday always coincides with Mother's Day, it's hard for me to make it all about me.

The best news came last week, when we got approved for an apartment! Yes! That's all I really wanted. I cannot wait to move out of that house!!! I was looking around, trying to think of things that I would miss - the only thing I could come up with was the giant bumble bees who nest every spring in the wood on the back patio. But I won't miss them that much. It was funny to see them every year - it was a sure sign of spring when there would be a pile of wood shavings on the ground from where they had started burrowing out their a space for another season. And watching them try to find the exact location was always amusing. Other than that, I'm looking forward to city living, fresh paint, new carpet, and a landlord who will actually repair things when they break. I think I'm most excited about having a working oven and a bath tub, so I imagine the first thing I'll do when we move in is bake some cookies and take a bubble bath. No, I'll probably bake a cake, I've been promising the boyfriend one for a while.

So I'm back to having a million things to do. Transferring utilities, finding a moving company, packing and throwing out things that we don't need. The next few weeks will be crazy, but the end result will be so worth it.

Adios, Plano. Hello, Dallas.

The one thing I did get for Mother's Day was this - the mini-teen, Emily, wrote me a poem, and posted it on my Myspace comments. It brought a little tear to my eye. I thought it was amazing. Enjoy.

You were there at the first moment.
My first breath of air.
You held me as my eyes opened for the very first time.
I saw you. My protector.
You sheltered me from harm.
My mother; My savior.
My first day of school, allthough forever ago,
I remember vividly.
You walked me to class.
God, you looked so proud.
Second grade; I broke my arm.
You took me the hospital.
You were there for me.
All my life, you've been right here.
You watched me laugh. You watched me cry.
You saw me succeed. You saw me lie.
A new school. A new life. A new city.
You were there.
When they doubted me. When they doubted you.
You came through.
I don't care what they all say.
Let the world talk.
I'm still trying to be your little girl.
The one you always wanted.
You were there when he broke my heart.
The very first time.
You held me as I closed my eyes to cry.
As I finally saw the world for the first time; for what it really is.
Stay here mom.
Because one day, I'll be there for you.

3 Comments:

Blogger monogodo said...

We used Able Bodied Movers on a friend's recommendation when we moved to our current loft 2.5 years ago. They were great. They arrived early (they called ahead to make sure it was OK), they only slightly damaged one item (a cheap bookcase that I was able to fix), and had very reasonable rates.

I highly recommend them.

5/14/2007 12:59 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

thanks Dan. I'll check them out. The three estimates I got were pretty reasonable.

5/16/2007 9:45 AM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Well, 4 time's a charm it seems. I'm going with Able Bodied, great price and they can get there early in the morning. Yippee! Thanks for the tip!

5/16/2007 2:12 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

blog counter
blog counter