Friday, April 20, 2007

Angst

Life is cruel when you’re a 14 year old girl.

My wonderful, adorable, funky-cool (if a bit emo) daughter had her first big break-up yesterday. She called me during lunch, sobbing. He did it over the phone. Wuss. Five months is like an eternity when you’re that age. I think we figured it out to be 14 dog years, or something like that. I was very sad for her. I haven’t heard her cry like that in a long time.

Nothing I can say would really offer her any comfort. I feel her pain and I’ve been there, more than once, but telling her this won’t be the last time this happens and that boys are icky and mean until they grow up (and sometimes they never grow out of their icky mean-ness) just didn’t seem productive. So instead, I picked her up and took her to the store, where we bought cookie dough and ice cream and various other forms of junk food. We went to my house and ate these things while I told her about my worst 2 break-ups when I was her age. We watched funny stuff on TV – she specifically asked for nothing with a ‘happy ending’ (she’s so emo, lol.) Evan made her laugh as he always does, and I told her how great and awesome she is and that sure, it hurts today, but tomorrow it will be a little better, and a little better the day after that.


And I told her to take him off her Myspace top friends. Immediately.

On a happy note....By the time the news of her single status had made it around her school yesterday, three guys approached her and threw their hats into the ring. There’s always a silver lining. Sometimes it’s just covered in crap.


Here's my old-school emo contribution, that is appropriate after reading some of her poetry. Haven't we all felt like this at one time or another?

"To those of us who knew the pain
Of valentines that never came
And those whose names were never called
When choosing sides for basketball
It was long ago and far away
the world was younger than today
when dreams were all they gave for free
to ugly duckling girls like me..."

"At Seventeen", Janis Ian

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

blog counter
blog counter