Thursday, September 14, 2006

Branching Out and other updates

What’s up blog homies? Just chillin up in here.

Ok, enough of that. My kids really hate it when I try to speak gangsta.

Tuesday nite, I attended my very first ever improv workshop. Doing stand-up for four years has been great, but I really want to try something different. The good folks at Comedy Sportz are putting on these classes. For the next 5 weeks, I will be taken very far out of my comfort zone. I’d be lying if I said I weren’t a little scared of that. At the end of the 6 weeks, we will have a showcase of some sort, and the "real" CSz players (read: the ones who know what they're doing) will join us. That’s a little scary too. How the hell am I supposed to come close to matching their skills? My 6 weeks of training vs. their many years? Ok then.

The first class was a lot of fun. I learned some of the basic rules of improv, and actually remembered everyone’s name. We have a class of 17 people, all from very different walks of life. The games we played were fun, but I can definitely see where my weaknesses are going to be. I was pretty good at one, not so great at the other. I guess that’s not bad for a beginner.

Had yet another interview, only to be turned down once again. This is getting old.


Ann Richards died yesterday. So very sad. I met her once at a function in Houston. She was quite the speaker. She will be missed.

We somehow won tickets to a screening tonite of the new Jackass movie, and Johnny Knoxville is supposed to be in attendance for a meet and greet. That should be fun.

Off to yet another interview. I will not let this get to me, I will not. The right job just hasn't found me yet. But geez, it's not like I'm hiding.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jenn said...

Thank you! Interview went well, and then I got a call on my way home for a second interview from earlier this week, so my fingers are eternally crossed. :)

It's funny - I think that improv is harder than stand-up, but maybe that's just because I've only done one and not the other. With stand-up, you know exactly what you're going to do and say before you get up there. But with improv, it's all made up on the spot. I wonder if I'm that clever. But I really LOVED my first class and I'm looking forward to the next few weeks!

As Lucille Ball once said...

"I'm not funny. What I am is brave."

9/14/2006 11:30 AM  
Blogger Melinda said...

Good luck with the job interview. Sounds like a fun life to live. doing stand up.

9/14/2006 4:56 PM  
Blogger decade5 said...

I hope with all of my twisted little heart that I get to play on stage with you because you are awesome and I adore you in a mildly inappropriate way.

9/14/2006 7:14 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Melinda - yeah, it sounds like fun. And it is, when it goes well. But when it goes badly, it's devastating. :)

Jill - aww. Thanks.
I hope you're one of the folks who joins us. Please continue to adore me inappropriately. I shall return the adoration.

9/14/2006 10:02 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

blog counter
blog counter