Friday, January 11, 2008

I am Frank Grimes

One of my favorite episodes of the Simpson’s is Homer’s Enemy.

Mr. Burns sees a human interest story on the news, about a man who has struggled his whole life, who has had to work harder than everyone else, just to get by. That man was Frank Grimes, and Mr. Burns immediately tells Smithers to run out and hire him. Of course, by the time Smithers locates and brings Frank to see Mr. Burns, he has long forgotten about poor Mr. Grimes and wants to hire a brave collie as his Vice President. Moving on...

Frank Grimes goes to work at the nuclear power plant and meets Homer Simpson. He's absolutely baffled by how stupid and incompetent Homer is, especially considering that Homer is the Safety Inspector for the plant. (Accidents had tripled since Homer took the job!)

Throughout the episode, Frank, or as Homer calls him, "Grimey", goes out of his way to prove to everyone that Homer is a complete moron. But he's met by laughs and shrugs and "That's just Homer!" from everyone. Frank declares that he is now Homer's enemy. Homer invites him to his house for dinner to try and smooth things over, but seeing that Homer lived so much better than him, in spite of being such an ignorant sloth, just made him even more angry and more determined to prove Homer's uselessness to anyone who would listen. In the end, poor Grimey, in an attempt to mock Homer, was electrocuted. His last words..." What's this? 'Extremely High Voltage.' Well, I don't need safety gloves, because I'm Homer Simp..."

I am surrounded by people on a daily basis who are unintelligent, unmotivated slackers. What takes them a couple of hours to complete takes me about a third of that time. Some of these people have worked here for years, yet they have no idea how to do their jobs. I hear them giving out incorrect information; I see them making the same mistakes, over and over. And yet, they keep their jobs. And when I point these things out to management, I get a shrug and a "That's just the way he/she is."

Well that's not the way it should be. People should not be paid to be incompetent.

I am Frank Grimes.
I just hope I don't get electrocuted trying to prove it.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jillian said...

Oh man. What a great post. I despise incompetence and how people are so willing to overlook it.

Since when is being incompetent a personality trait? "That's how he or she is..." Give me a break.

meh.

1/16/2008 12:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post. I totally feel your pain!

1/16/2008 1:21 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

blog counter
blog counter