Sunday, June 12, 2005

Saturday Show Recap

Wow.

I remember now why I wanted to do this comedy thing - because I love to hear a room full of people laugh! And that's exactly what they did last Saturday nite.

My first paying gig. Can you say freaky nervous? Yeah, I knew you could. I had friends who drove up from Houston for this. From Houston! They were there supporting me when I first started doing open mic at the Laff Stop. Thanks for driving in for the show y'all. It meant a lot to me to have you there. I hope you've seen some progression from my first open mics three years ago. Also, thanks to my other friends who came, the local people. I think all of you are pretty much over me doing this whole comedy thing. Thanks for humoring the fat girl.

I took one of my out-of-town buddies to the club early to watch the Comedy Sportz show - (Warning: Incoming Plug), check it out, they were really great: www.comedysportzdfw.com. I haven't the first clue about being an improv person, but it sure is fun to watch.

Our show was packed - I don't recall the final count, but there were very few, if any, empty seats. I stayed out front to greet friends before the show. I don't think I've ever been so nervous in all my life. I've been married, I've given birth, and I've gone to juvenile court with my teenager - none of that compares.

I don't really think I heard any of our emcee's set as I was frantically pacing back stage with the other comics. Seth and I had spent hours the previous nite going over our sets and memorizing everything. I just knew I was gonna go blank. Corey was backstage, writing notes on his hand with a Sharpie. Why didn't I think of that?

I was the first comic to go up. Dixon introduced me and I came to the stage with a roar from the crowd. Damn. That was a cool feeling. Granted, I had about 10 friends there, but for the most part, the larger audience didn't have a clue who I was. The nerves went away after I got a couple of jokes out. They really seemed to be with me. I was so thrilled with their reaction, and my timing and delivery was good. I could have slowed down a bit. Mental notes for next time. And although I HATE to see myself on video, I did review the show with the guys last nite, and it was pretty good.

Much more work to do, many more jokes to write. Thanks for reading.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

blog counter
blog counter