Friday, April 01, 2005

Could I get a receipt for that donut?

I'm sad today. My favorite comedian, Mitch Hedberg, has died at the age of 37. http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/headline/features/3112640
When I heard the news on the radio yesterday, I burst into tears and had to pull over. He was my age. He was a comic genius, and he will be missed.

I was saddened when we lost other comics - Chris Farley, Phil Hartman, Rodney Dangerfield. But it feels more personal with Mitch. When I was an open miker at the Laff Stop in Houston (http://www.laffstop.com/), he was a frequent headliner. Everybody loved Mitch. Not only was he a great comic, he was a nice guy. He didn't know me, but I sure knew who he was. I performed on that same stage - ok, it was only one time, during a contest, but still. I just saw him at the Improv less than a year ago, and what a great show that was. He was brilliant, absolutely fucking brilliant.

I'm starting to tear up again, so I'll leave you with one of my favorite Mitch quotes.

"I bought a donut and the guy gave me a recieipt for the donut. I don't need a receipt for the donut, I give you the money, you give me the donut, end of transaction. We do not need to bring ink and paper into this. I can not imagine the senerio where I would have to prove that I bought a donut. Some skeptical friend. Don't even act like I didn't get that donut. I got the documentation right here. "

RIP, Mitch.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

blog counter
blog counter