Tuesday, August 28, 2007

School Daze

Well, it's that time again. The time of year that kids dread and parents look forward to - the return to school. No more teens sleeping until noon (and that's being nice). No more small people eating everything in the house during the day and complaining when all the food is gone. Ahh. School.

The mini-teen (Emily) is going to a new school this year since she's now living with us full time. She's scared and freaked out and not happy about having to wear a uniform. (Thanks, DISD!) Shopping was awful. Not even the promise of ice cream would snap her out of her hatred of khaki pants and white polo shirts. It's easier on the parents, and for that I'm glad. But I hate to see her creativity stifled in any way, so there are definitely mixed feelings about the whole 'standardized dress' situation.

Getting her enrolled has been a nightmare. I won't bore you with the details. Long story short - school started yesterday, but she didn't. She may attend a class by 1:00 PM today if we're lucky. Her step-dad-in-training is handling stuff today that I didn't have time to do yesterday. Because he's awesome.

Tomorrow is her 15th birthday. A driving permit is just around the corner. God help us.

The Boy entered 8th grade without incident. Not much to report there, he's a 13 year old boy who doesn't get excited about much unless it's video-game related. And The Teen got her braces off yesterday. What a week. And it's only Tuesday.

And if reading about my kids is boring to you, I apologize. I do kinda dig them, they are pretty rockin' kids. If you've met them, you know. I totally respect those who have chosen not to have children. I've heard them talk about something called 'disposable income'? Not sure what that is, but I hear good things. But this is the life I chose, and I'm happy with it. No regrets.

3 Comments:

Blogger decade5 said...

If I could give birth to a teenager like Emily, then it wouldn't be so bad.
It's the other years that squick me out.

Dude - khaki pants? Eeeewww... WTF? I'm so getting her something rude from Hot Topic (or similar) to make up for that.

8/31/2007 8:39 AM  
Blogger Jenn said...

She is pretty awesome. But there have been many struggles over the years.

Surprisingly, they haven't asked her to take out her nose ring, but they had a fit because her shirt had 4 buttons instead of 3. These people are nuts. Or as she calls them, "Facist button nazis". Yeah.

8/31/2007 9:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, belated birthday greetings to Emily...And I still have that atomic pink dye if she wants it. (Or are they not allowed to have colorful hair, either?)

I feel old. In my school the dresscode was "You have to wear sweats over your leotards, and mohawks cannot exceed three inches in height."

8/31/2007 3:02 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

blog counter
blog counter