Monday, February 14, 2005

What I got for Valentine's Day - Sour Grapes

Ok, I will admit it. I'm an angry, bitter woman, who'd rather choke on dirt than see another bouquet of Valentine's roses come through the office door. Is that so wrong?

Do I hate this day because I'm single? Well, yes and no. I am single, and although that does suck, I've hated Valentine's Day for a very long time. I would hate it if I had a boyfriend. I would hate it if I were married. The reasons vary, depending on my mood, but mostly because Valentine's Day has been a huge disappointment for me, every year, for as long as I can remember. The hype has totally killed this day for me.

It's not that I've never received the standard chocolates and flowers, because I have. Unfortunately, I usually got them from someone I cared nothing about. Those who were unfortunate enough to be in a relationship with me on V-Day all had an aversion to a nationally endorsed, greeting-card company derived holiday that forces you to express your undying love for the person you're already committed to. Can't really blame them for that. Not to mention that Valentine's Day is such a chick day. If I were a man, I'd boycott it too. Too much damn pressure to get just the right gift or make the right reservations at the perfect restaurant, or create the perfect proposal of marriage on the most romantic day of the year. Bah. Who's got time for that.

But would it have killed them to send me roses, just once?
Apparently.

And the bitterness continues....

At 4 PM that day, I realized that the rose parade was over, and I was not going to be a recipient. Once again. And that's fine really, because I wasn't expecting to be. Besides, by this time, any gift I would receive would just be pity candy, and no one wants that.

So how did I finish off my Valentine's Day? I walked right up to a cute guy at the train station, chatted him up and got his phone number. I never intended to call him, but that really wasn't the point. A small affirmation, even from a stranger, was what I needed for Valentine's Day. So starts a new V-Day tradition.

blog counter
blog counter